#60 - "Little Things"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Don’t know why that took me so long to decipher. Agree that it was a nice, relatively easy meta.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Very nice!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Very clever but I did not find it easy and needed help.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Well because everyone said this was so easy and I finished WSJ on Thur - I tried and once again failed. I am sure I will see the answer on Tuesday and remember why I normally don’t waste my time with PGW. They are never fun - even the one time I solved one it wasn’t fun.

I thought it might be different because there was a reference to one of my favorite films in one of the first clues - but I was wrong. I should not have attempted it. It did get 99% of the grid w/o Googling which I take as a win.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I think this was very much an "easy is in the eye of the beholder" meta. If you're on the same wavelength as the constructor, if you notice something while filling out the grid that makes you go "huh," then it will fall into place pretty quickly. Sometimes that happens to me. This time it didn't :-) But I eventually muddled through! Very clever puzzle.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

A rare solve for me. While there's a reasonable chance I would have gotten this without the starred clues, I was happy to have them due to the inclusion of two 6-letter answers and the exclusion of two 11-letter answers, which could certainly lead to some misdirection.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
TPS

Post by TPS »

So...as expected. Saw the answer and meh exactly why I had quit doing these. I was onto the method almost right way with Gillette, Casset, and Croquet - but gave up on it because I didn’t see the connections to the others because they are all so tenuous.

Congrats to all who got this - my only assumption is that you were able to get a few of the clues, determine the answer, and backfill the rest because I can not believe anyone would have been able to make the connection to all of these just because of how tenuous some of the connections are.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TPS wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:35 am So...as expected. Saw the answer and meh exactly why I had quit doing these. I was onto the method almost right way with Gillette, Casset, and Croquet - but gave up on it because I didn’t see the connections to the others because they are all so tenuous.

Congrats to all who got this - my only assumption is that you were able to get a few of the clues, determine the answer, and backfill the rest because I can not believe anyone would have been able to make the connection to all of these just because of how tenuous some of the connections are.
Really? I didn't find them tenuous at all... they were all right there, and corroborated by crossing entries. I thought it was pretty elegant and totally gettable.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I guess they can seem tenuous if you think you're drawing connections between grid entries, like VIE and TOILET(TE), which certainly aren't obviously related. The connection, however, is between the clue "Eau de ___" and those two answers, each of which is a completely solid answer for that clue. (BTW, I was distracted by the red-herring occurrence of both eau de vie and aquavit in the puzzle.)