#43 - "Flip the Script"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
damefox

Post by damefox »

pgw wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:27 am
damefox wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:25 pm There are three entries that I can find no evidence are valid answers for their clues.
26d is an error. The grid entry is a valid initialism but I was rushing to finish cluing several puzzles before vacation, somehow got my wires crossed and gave it a clue that's just wrong. Sorry about that.

What are the other two that seem wrong to you?
1A, 25A, and 44A I couldn't find any confirmation of, but fellow muggle LesY has convinced me that I needed to dig a little deeper and it's just that these are unusually obscure. Also I had an error in 44A that wasn't helping - the entry itself is not obscure (though the other two I mentioned definitely are), it was just making the connection with the clue. But it wouldn't be a PGWCC if I didn't need to use Google for a large chunk of the grid. :D
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Trying to catch up... This grid was particularly brutal for me but I think I confirmed that all of the entries are accurate (except 26D). I'm having an even harder time with the meta though. I'm pretty sure I have the first step, but what to do after that doesn't seem straightforward.

Edited to add: Got it now, but it took a failed submission and another "Close, but..." from PGW. Though I appreciate his responsiveness, I have to stop doing that!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Wow, I have no idea how you all are doing this. I can see two relevant entries, maybe, but beyond that I continue to be completely at a loss for where to start. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sure; PM me what you've got...
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, I submitted an answer. It was an educated guess as I couldn't quite find all of the parts to make it work. I will wait to see what Peter says.

Confirmed.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Peter confirmed my answer and reasoning (which I arrived at with help from Hector). Clever meta. Minor quibble with the execution but overall pretty interesting mechanism.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I hadn't picked up on the fact that the vertical answers had letters that flipped on the y axis, and the horizontal ones flipped on the x axis. Nice touch.

I got IN-ER- and figured it was INVERT, but it took me a while to get to the V in Samsung and a lot longer to get the T in Resist. Even while I was trying to force that T. And though I figured I was looking for inverted letters, I also came across a couple other letters that could be stylized, like the O in the soft drink Rio (or the R in the movie Rio), so that just slowed me down in confirming the answer. Fun puzzle, though.