#43 - "Flip the Script"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
ChrisKochmanski

#43 - "Flip the Script"

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Finished the grid -- with just three googles! For me, on a PGWCC, that's not bad.

Now working on the meta, and I believe I'm getting there, but I don't quite have the answer yet.

Also ...

One grid entry seems, to me, to be incorrect. It works in the grid as it's supposed to, but I believe it isn't what it should be. That is: Peter may be incorrect about this bit of info. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, it may be worth drawing to Peter's attention. (Maybe he's reading this.)

Of course, it's equally possible that I'm incorrect. Though I just looked it up ...

Also also ...

I now wish I hadn't set aside last week's PGWCC, "Connect the Dots", so quickly. I wasn't getting it right away, there was lots of holiday fun going on all around, and, well, it just became a low priority. Too bad because, now that I see the solution, I really like that concept and mechanism.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I've done the grid, but unlike Chris, I think I googled all *but* three. I may suffer from learned helplessness when it comes to PGWCC grids. I also have a grid answer that doesn't seem quite accurate, but I certainly wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking everything up.

I think I'm on the right path and am 2/3 of the way there with an answer in mind, but not quite there yet.
Last edited by FrankieHeck on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damefox

Post by damefox »

I'm totally at sea as to even the first step of the meta, but like Chris, I have a couple issues with the grid. There are three entries that I can find no evidence are valid answers for their clues. Obscure is typical for PGWCC (and there are definitely a couple of those too), but these to me seem incorrect. (It's of course possible my Googling has just not been comprehensive enough.)
LesY

Post by LesY »

The answer to 26D does appear to be wrong, but I don’t think it affects the meta. While that’s the only error I saw it sounds like there may be others... anyone want to volunteer to be Peter’s editor/test solver? :)

I had an answer I kind of liked, then found a second answer I like better. Planning to submit it later and will let the group know if there’s feedback.
ChrisKochmanski

26D is indeed the entry I noticed to be incorrect.

Others seem obscure, but I haven’t checked them.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tough grid, even with Google! I've sent in an answer. We'll see...
ChrisKochmanski

I have an answer too, that I’d say is a 100 per center, but for one thing ...

Chances are I’m missing something, and since the answer fits so well, I’ll submit it. We’ll see!
Hector

Post by Hector »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:38 pm I have an answer too, that I’d say is a 100 per center, but for one thing ...

Chances are I’m missing something, and since the answer fits so well, I’ll submit it. We’ll see!
I think I know what you're talking about. If I'm getting it, and I may not be, one of these things is not like the others.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I found that google didn’t help much to fill in the grid. It actually caused more trouble due to the mentioned NASDAQ symbol. Same for solving the meta. I found an extra bit I decided to ignore as it didn’t work with what I think and hope is the expected answer.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Took me a while to get the last bit, but I think I have it. Maybe confirmation bias led me to it, but I'm submitting.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Lots of obscure stuff in the grid (German chaplains!) and one and maybe two mistakes I noticed unless these are deliberate. None of my ideas is getting me very far along toward a solution...
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Peter confirmed the 26d error.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Had to search long and hard, but that last piece is out there.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

TMart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:44 pm Got it. Had to search long and hard, but that last piece is out there.
same here
Meg

Post by Meg »

I think I’m onto something! But.......I’m having trouble completing things. I even have a meta answer, but I can’t defend all of it.
OK. I got the last part. Hmmmmmm.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
pgw

Post by pgw »

damefox wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:25 pm There are three entries that I can find no evidence are valid answers for their clues.
26d is an error. The grid entry is a valid initialism but I was rushing to finish cluing several puzzles before vacation, somehow got my wires crossed and gave it a clue that's just wrong. Sorry about that.

What are the other two that seem wrong to you?
pgw

Post by pgw »

Hector wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:17 pm If I'm getting it, and I may not be, one of these things is not like the others.
You got it. I would say that two of the things are not like the others, though I'll concede that one of them is even less like the others than the other one. (Confusing enough?)
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Have an answer, but not can't verify one part of it. But enough of a skeleton that I will submit and see if I get any comments (or was far adrift and in left field.)

Wasn't in left field, submission confirmed as correct.
LesY

Post by LesY »

I just submitted my own “left field” answer. I might have taken it one step too far. Hoping to find out soon.

Update: I found all of the pieces, but went in the wrong direction after that. Think I have it now after a nudge from Peter. That said, I did manage to find a crazy (unintended) Easter Egg I can share with anyone who’s already solved.
Last edited by LesY on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Please don't spoil it ("all 6 pieces") for the rest of us.