#40 - "Let Me Check My Calendar"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
damefox

#40 - "Let Me Check My Calendar"

Post by damefox »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a three-word phrase that might be part of a date proposal.

Good luck all!
damefox

Post by damefox »

I haven't had a chance to really look at this yet, but I just have to say, as an aspiring crossword constructor the clue at 15A, "City in Uttar Pradesh, or an iPhone app that's supposed to help one "become an effective and confident speaker," both of which are obscure, and really most of the acrosses in this corner are kinda garbage so I'll try to clue the crossings gently...," is my favorite crossword clue ever.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Sent in my answer. If it's right, I love the puzzle. If it's wrong, I now have a great idea for a puzzle.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Ha! Clever one.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm pretty sure I have the right answer, something I say more than I hear. Grid was something of a challenge. 9A is useful addition to my vocabulary.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Agree the grid was a challenge, and definitely a little iffy in that NE corner. Cute meta though. I have only one minor quibble about it that I'm sure others will notice too but that I think was probably unavoidable for PGW.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Just got this one, I think two weeks in a row is my longest PGWCC streak ever :)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Nice one! I agree with the minor quibble but mostly I'm happy to have gotten it. Overall the grid was one of the "easier" PGW ones... I only ended up with two squares unfilled (NE corner) before Googling, and on reflection I should have been able to guess those.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Fun.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Good one!

I like that Peter's grids are challenging, but not impossible. This time I got everything, though needed to google two things to confirm.

Meta is clever and not too hard.

Fun!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Enjoyed it! And I think I see the same quibble as others. Now to go back and finish the grid...
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Woo-hoo! First time I ever completed a PGW grid without Google! Okay, I did use it to confirm two guesses, but still! Haven't looked at the meta yet, just came here to brag about that!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm impressed, Tina. I always try without google, but the pop music and sports teams too often defeat me. To be less ashamed, I try to learn something about whatever I google. Unfortunately I then immediately forget what I learned, but my heart is in the right place.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Tina wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:09 pm Woo-hoo! First time I ever completed a PGW grid without Google! Okay, I did use it to confirm two guesses, but still! Haven't looked at the meta yet, just came here to brag about that!
I’m impressed! I Googled shamelessly. I don’t know why I made this one more complicated than it actually was.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I think it was the lack of Turkish basketball players that made this grid seem easier than usual.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

First PGW I've been able to get in quite a while.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well I got it right, but where Peter was looking for the "First Vowel" in Christmas (I), I took it as the Vowel in the word "First" (also I).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm Well I got it right, but where Peter was looking for the "First Vowel" in Christmas (I), I took it as the Vowel in the word "First" (also I).
Same here, and I didn't feel too comfortable with it!