#34 - "What's the Takeaway?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
FrankieHeck

#34 - "What's the Takeaway?"

Post by FrankieHeck »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a rank in the U.S. Army. (Either the name or the alphanumeric designation.)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Got it! I had a lot of fun with it, and felt like I got a good mental workout.

In unrelated news, I'm trying out a sample pair of multi-focal contact lenses this week, and these meta puzzles are going to give me quite an ocular workout, as well. I thought I was doing pretty well till I printed this one out and kept reading the clue numbers incorrectly.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm pretty sure I got it too! Fun and challenging. A lot of PGW's metas "think outside the box" in new and interesting ways.

Full disclosure: After submitting this post I got an email from PGW saying that I was slightly off from the intended answer. I think I see what I did, and I sent a correction that I hope is right! I like the individual feedback :-)
Last edited by Laura M on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Same here. Lotsa distractions to make it tough, but fun & clever.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I'm in awe. Brilliant. Loved the clues at 69A and 74D. Appreciated 41A.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Tina wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:08 pm I'm in awe. Brilliant. Loved the clues at 69A and 74D. Appreciated 41A.
Yes! Also I meant to comment that I got a kick out of 37D; I actually remembered what the clue word means (from a previous puzzle!).
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I really enjoyed this one too. I thought the grid was as challenging as the meta.
damefox

Post by damefox »

I'm totally lost on this.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I see what's going on, but I'm having trouble making sense of one piece.

Aha! Found it. I had already filled in the blank on that piece, but nice to find the confirmation. Great puzzle with lots of fun information.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Just submitted my answer. If it's correct, this is one/another awe-inspiring meta. If I'm wrong... have I got an idea for a great meta!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I just submitted, though I'm not 100% sure. I asked Peter if he'd let me know if I'm wrong, then I'd keep at it. He gave me a similar nudge last week, But I'm thinking I'll want to be sparing with this kind of request. Otherwise I could become a real nuisance to Peter!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:44 pm I just submitted, though I'm not 100% sure. I asked Peter if he'd let me know if I'm wrong, then I'd keep at it. He gave me a similar nudge last week, But I'm thinking I'll want to be sparing with this kind of request. Otherwise I could become a real nuisance to Peter!
I feel bad when my long-winded justifications guilt Peter into giving me feedback, but I also always appreciate it. I like to think we are just motivating him to set up a leaderboard :D
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

I submitted my answer...was stuck at the last step, then had to remember a key mantra about metas which gave me the final AHA to the solution I submitted. (Not saying more as it might be spoilerish).

PS - Had the same response as above that my initial answer was not the intended answer, but that a 1/3 of the submissions have done so, so he is going to consider it correct as he understand where it is coming from. Looking over my solve, I now see (and told Pete) what I think the intended answer is.
damefox

Post by damefox »

I've think I've gotten steps 1-3 or so... but now I'm stuck again.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

RPardoe wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:38 pm PS - Had the same response as above that my initial answer was not the intended answer, but that a 1/3 of the submissions have done so, so he is going to consider it correct as he understand where it is coming from. Looking over my solve, I now see (and told Pete) what I think the intended answer is.
That's exactly how it transpired for me. I'm now a bit surprised that I didn't get to the intended solution from the start.

I much enjoyed this puzzle, and made sure to tell Pete that I like how he's stretching the boundaries with his very creative metas.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Anyone want to give me a nudge in the right direction? I feel like I must be 2 steps from the final AHA moment, but I can't seem to get unstuck.

Update: thanks for the nudge, FrankieHeck! Got it. Not my favorite of his puzzles, but pretty clever.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Fun story: I was at a trivia night last night that, in honor of Veterans Day, had a picture round where you had to name the Army rank based on the insignia. And guess who recently spent an inordinate amount of time staring at lists of Army ranks and insignia?? We got 4/5 (I forgot Major) instead of 0/5 on that round thanks to the PGWCC!