#33 - "Where's the Band?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#33 - "Where's the Band?"

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a well-known musician.

Have fun!
damefox

Post by damefox »

I'm definitely like 90% of the way there, but I don't think the answer I have right now is correct.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! It's like the MMMM arrived two weeks early, theme-wise anyway. I've only been doing this a few weeks, but this feels like a classic PGW puzzle.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Agreed. And a very clever, very good meta design this week.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Fun one! And impressive as always.
Toby

Post by Toby »

My resolution, after last week, was not to spend time on this puzzle. That resolution lasted about an hour. It gives me insight into addiction. Anyway, I got part way easily...but now am stuck.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Fun one!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Enjoyed that. Thanks for not using the harder one today! It'll be better to have that one with Matt's Week 1, anyway. (Pulls up calendar, counts Fridays. Whew.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got it! After last week, this was fun with a lovely aha twist!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Really good! I enjoyed the multiple aha pauses, especially the last one.

Agree it's like we got a bonus (and very well done) MMMM puzzle.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Agree. Clever and fun.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!

Fun!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Fun!
audiostar

Post by audiostar »

The meta was clever; one of the theme answers is misspelled.

Most importantly, of all the countless ways to clue ASA, why clue it in reference to a Klan leader??
pgw

Post by pgw »

audiostar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 pm The meta was clever; one of the theme answers is misspelled.

Most importantly, of all the countless ways to clue ASA, why clue it in reference to a Klan leader??
That particular theme answer has been spelled both ways, including in some official versions. It is true that it is far more often spelled differently than here, and my original clue contained a cumbersome parenthetical explaining that, and at the last minute I took it out.

As for the ASA clue, I chose it because I think the story of a Klan leader posing as a Cherokee environmentalist late in life and successfully gaslighting an audience (twice!) is fascinating - not in a good way, but still fascinating. The clue does not celebrate him.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I took a wrong turn at the beginning and took a while to find my way out... But it was a fun ramble with a really enjoyable conclusion!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Updating previous posting, I got unstuck finally. Clever puzzle with some enjoyable challenges.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Sent in one wrong answer, but I got it now. What was that thing somebody said last week about haste and waste? I wasn't really paying attention. Duh.

Great construction and fun puzzle.
audiostar

Post by audiostar »

pgw wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 pm That particular theme answer has been spelled both ways, including in some official versions. It is true that it is far more often spelled differently than here, and my original clue contained a cumbersome parenthetical explaining that, and at the last minute I took it out.
You're right -- I'd only seen it the other way.
pgw wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 pm As for the ASA clue, I chose it because I think the story of a Klan leader posing as a Cherokee environmentalist late in life and successfully gaslighting an audience (twice!) is fascinating - not in a good way, but still fascinating. The clue does not celebrate him.
Noted that the clue doesn't celebrate him, but... why even go there? When I've solved, I've wondered whether the puzzles are made more for yourself or for an audience. At the end of the day, it's your site and you can run it as you please. But as a member of the audience, I've been turned off several times by editorial decisions.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I had never heard of ASA and I enjoyed learning about him, even though he’s a terrible person.