#25 - "How Are You?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Al Sisti

#25 - "How Are You?"

Post by Al Sisti »

PGW's latest has us looking for an Emmy- and Grammy-winning performer.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Done and done. Good one.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

That one was very nearly out of my grasp, but I think I got it.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hats off to anyone who gets this grid without googling.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Not an easy one - needed lots of Google help for the final answer, but I like the gimmick.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Yeah, some help from Google for me, too, for one piece in particular. A clever mechanism, though. Challenging! BTW, 46A should probably read, "Jamaica's former Chief Justice" (thanks to Google for that info, too).
pgw

Post by pgw »

Hector wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm Yeah, some help from Google for me, too, for one piece in particular. A clever mechanism, though. Challenging! BTW, 46A should probably read, "Jamaica's former Chief Justice" (thanks to Google for that info, too).
Oh - so it should. I think my fact-checking didn't go past the first sentence of the Wikipedia article, which is (erroneously) in present tense.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Done x2. I don't think I knew any of the people in the grid at all, and there were a lot of crosses that I was unsure about, but I gave it my best shot and got all of the boxes filled before Googling. Then I found that 22A was slightly wrong and 46A was a lot wrong, but still, I think I did pretty well (for me). Nice meta, as usual!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Whew!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Got it, with help. Too much Googling for my taste, especially since I have already forgotten what I briefly learned.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Done and done. Very cute meta!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved, and agree the mechanism was great. Major kudos to anyone who didn’t use a search engine for any of it - the range of knowledge required here is huge.

I backed into the meta through pattern recognition for the last 2 pieces, but needed Google to finish one section of the grid. Learned a lot of new stuff there (Jamaica, objectionable dudes, belaying...).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

LesY wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:24 am Solved, and agree the mechanism was great. Major kudos to anyone who didn’t use a search engine for any of it - the range of knowledge required here is huge.
I Googled the heck out of every aspect of this puzzle.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Backsolved parts of this. Finally the title makes sense.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I knew what to do but I still had trouble. Glad to be done.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I've submitted my answer, which works to the description in the "The answer to this meta puzzle is ..." line -- and which, using the mechanism I found for the puzzle, delivers a completely appropriate answer.

But I must say, the puzzle's title, "How Are You?", seems only weakly connected to where I got.

Any other solvers feeling this way?
Hector

Post by Hector »

I found the title only slightly useful in solving, and only at the very end stages. I do think there's a sense in which it's solidly apt to the theme. Still, I'll be interested to read pgw's explanation.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I too will look forward to PGW's explanation next week.

He shouldn't take my unsteadiness on the title as a criticism of the puzzle. I enjoyed it very much.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:25 pm I've submitted my answer, which works to the description in the "The answer to this meta puzzle is ..." line -- and which, using the mechanism I found for the puzzle, delivers a completely appropriate answer.

But I must say, the puzzle's title, "How Are You?", seems only weakly connected to where I got.

Any other solvers feeling this way?
I have to disagree: the title (in combination with one other thing) is the only reason that I had any clue what to do with this one! (But everybody's approach is different, and someone with a more extensive knowledge base than me might not have even noticed the title.)