#24 - "Name Game"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#24 - "Name Game"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a five-letter word.
Hector

Post by Hector »

A manageable grid this time. I see the mechanism, but am left with a few seemingly equally valid alternatives. Maybe there's an additional step? Or maybe it's that only one of them is arguably thematically relevant?

Edit: PGW confirms that I guessed correctly, but there was something I missed along the way.
Last edited by Hector on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Didn't have to look up *quite* as much as usual. Pretty sure I have it, and it was very nicely done.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Answer sent.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I saw a path, and submitted something I can justify, but I don't feel completely confident.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I had an answer, sat on it for a while, then looked at the puzzle again and came up with a better answer. Gonna wait a while now and look at the puzzle again later to see if I come up with an even better answer before submitting!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Huh, I thought it was fairly straightforward (as metas go) but the answer word did not click very loudly for me. Still, I thought it was 100%, I guess I'll see. Anyway, it's a good day for me when I can finish a PGW grid (never mind the meta) before the .puz timer maxes out!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and answer sent. I can justify a click from the answer but had to think about it for a bit. Very enjoyable!

It might be illogical, but I feel a bigger sense of accomplishment after solving a meta with a larger grid.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Done. I found this one challenging. Finally, I just tried the right thing.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I love the mechanism, but not sure about the final answer. It sort of makes sense but isn’t as hard a click as last week.

Edit: Confirmed correct by Peter. Another good one!
David R

Post by David R »

Smoother fill then usual, as others have said meta click isn't as sharp as you would like but with a little thought it does make sense.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Completed and submitted. The answer is clear and makes sense in the context of the meta.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I don't know how you folks get these metas so easily. I don't even know where to begin with this one.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

FINALLY got it. Even after a nudge, it took me quite some time of fruitless staring. Agree, not the strongest click, but still, a good meta.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

At the eleventh hour and I finally got it...I think. I at least found what he was doing. Cool mechanism, nice aha. Must've stared at this thing for several cumulative hours. Submitted an answer that makes sense to me. The nice thing about submitting so late is I don't have to wait too long to find out if I got it correct.

And a new one tomorrow!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

OK I was getting nervous because PGW hadn't confirmed my answer, but now I can finally check it off as correct on my "spreadsheet" (i.e. sheet of ratty notebook paper with columns of +s and -s).
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wow, would have never ever got this one. And I literally live on Winchester Avenue. (Which now I will always read as “Winch ester.”)