"Multiple Personality" - June 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
BrianMac
Site Admin

"Multiple Personality" - June 2019

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to the June 2019 meta is a famous singer.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Three hours and six solvers. Wow! Unless Pete's having website troubles again, looks like this one might be a doozy.
Toby

Post by Toby »

No rest for the weary. The grid not bad but zero ideas yet.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Still staring. I usually have good luck with the MMMM. (Heidi)
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It's classic Pete. Clean, elegant, and once you see it, it's so obvious you wonder how it took so long.
KayW

Post by KayW »

So far - 48A! :(
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I've been through a couple of rabbit holes that I really think should have yielded a rabbit, but did not. I still have hope though.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

There seems to be a place to start on the meta, but it ain’t leading me anywhere yet.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Oh my heck, I don't believe that was actually it. Seconding BarbaraK's post.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Took me too long but a wrong rabbit hole finally led me to the right one. I think I had a hard time getting back into normal meta mode after beating my brains out not finding the grail in MGWCC week 5. I liked this one a lot. Everything hangs together and makes sense.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Sent in my first wrong answer to the MMMM. Ugh! Too distracted by life right now I guess. (Heidi)
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Nice one.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Finally . . . whew.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Yeah, I finally got it too... (gotta remember those two great sayings: "Patience is a Virtue" and "Haste Ruins a Perfectly Good Streak").
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got it this morning. Does anyone ever have that feeling that they’re about to solve a puzzle, even when they have no conscious thought about what to do?

Despite being way busy today, I had that feeling - I sat down for 5-10 minutes with no success, was about to go to work, thought “I’ll just look one more time,” and boom there it was!

Also tantalizingly close to solving the Mega Meta but nervous about submitting an answer given the really high incorrect-to-correct ratio.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

LesY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:25 pm Does anyone ever have that feeling that they’re about to solve a puzzle, even when they have no conscious thought about what to do?
Hoping I get that feeling soon! When I start trying to apply the distributive property of multiplication to letters in a crossword grid, it's time to set the puzzle down. I guess I'll be taking this one to our weekly date night at our favorite dive bar. I'm going to get a reputation as the crazy puzzle lady there.

I just started the MMMM last month, so if I fail at this one, at least I don't have to worry about the Mega Meta. Something to be said for taking the pressure off. I was so busy looking at this puzzle that I forgot to do the NYT daily puzzle on Thursday, and lost my streak at 150-something. My new year's resolution had been a 365-day NYT streak, but breaking it was such a relief! Going on vacation next week, and now I don't have to worry about it. (Though I did draw up some 15x15 grids so I can do next week's metas by hand if necessary, while I'm away :lol: )
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh my gosh. Sitting at the bar, three beers in, and my husband just found the answer. Not sure I ever would have found it. Now I just have to remember to submit it!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Needed a hint from a meta friend to get it, then was immediately disappointed in myself for not getting there completely on my own. I rated it as “Kinda Hard,” but it was probably only “Kinda Hard” because I wasn’t seeing what I believe I should have been seeing. Grrr! Kicking myself right now.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I have a feeling I'm going to be kicking myself after this one. Won't be the first time. Hoping inspiration comes soon!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:31 pm I have a feeling I'm going to be kicking myself after this one. Won't be the first time. Hoping inspiration comes soon!
You will be kicking yourself. Title and obvious hint in grid.