"Dropouts" - May 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
BrianMac
Site Admin

"Dropouts" - May 2019

Post by BrianMac »

Well our "Other Meta Puzzles" section is finally filled out with the Muller Monthly Music Meta for May (MMMM4M?). And what a month for it to happen, as today the MMMM debuts as a regular feature in the Washington Post. Congratulations to Pete Muller on that amazing accomplishment! I've been neglecting these puzzles so far this year, so I am off to get caught up before tackling this one.

The solution this month is a hit from the 80's. The deadline is Sunday night at 11 p.m.

Edit: Just noticed there is an easy and a hard version this month. Let us know which one you did.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I did the easy one, but that's because I didn't read ahead and notice that there was a hard version. In retrospect, it would have made quite a difference in my solve time. Or in my solving it at all.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I did the hard version, and it wasn't really all that hard. If you're trying to decide, I'd go ahead and go for it.

No solvers yet on the leaderboard seems unlikely. I'm guessing Pete's offline or something.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. I feel like I've seen that one before. (Easy one - same as Al, didn't notice the hard one at first).
Last edited by TMart on Tue May 07, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I did the easy version, also because I didn't read carefully (or really at all) and see the harder one. If I had, I would have tried the harder one first, and most likely dropped back to the easy one in a few days when I didn't get anywhere! I thought this was pretty easy for May, but nobody's on the leaderboard yet so perhaps it was a pageant...
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I finally decided to try these since so many muggles recommended them. I had stayed away because I don't know much music after the 80s. Fortunately the easy version really was very easy -- I didn't even have to resort to Mr. G. I also went back and looked at the earlier puzzles from this year, and I see where the mega meta is going -- I just don't know what to do with what I have so far!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm ...but nobody's on the leaderboard yet so perhaps it was a pageant...
Well, there was a leaderboard briefly (there were four of us on it as of 12:25 EST); it's kinda still there, under the "Overview" Tab. Hopefully it's just a glitch and not Pete having found a better answer to his own Meta
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 pm
Laura M wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm ...but nobody's on the leaderboard yet so perhaps it was a pageant...
Well, there was a leaderboard briefly (there were four of us on it as of 12:25 EST); it's kinda still there, under the "Overview" Tab. Hopefully it's just a glitch and not Pete having found a better answer to his own Meta
Yes, it's up now (and I'm on it, phew!). Not sure why I didn't see it for a while.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Went for the hard version and got it! Took about 20 minutes, helped by the familiarity factor mentioned by others. Still a good one!

And congrats to Pete on the Washington Post deal!

Btw now that someone solved the MMMM I need to get cracking on it. Haven't seen anything yet besides the obvious.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Loved this meta! Fun and elegant. (Heidi)
Heidi
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I did the easy one...on purpose! Was thrown at first because it was my first MMMM, and I didn't realize that the clue with *** was for the Mega. But after I figured that out, all went smoothly.
TMart

Post by TMart »

LesY wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:49 pm
Btw now that someone solved the MMMM I need to get cracking on it. Haven't seen anything yet besides the obvious.
I sent in an answer on the mega-meta this morning. This is my first year doing the MMMM - do I have to wait until year end to find out if I’m right?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 pm
I sent in an answer on the mega-meta this morning. This is my first year doing the MMMM - do I have to wait until year end to find out if I’m right?
No, you'll get an email right away... at least I did today.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'd noticed something while doing the grid, but neglected to really take note of it. So I ended up having to discover it again, and then all fell into place (did the harder version). A lesson.

And, oh, in case you're trying to decide which to do, the standard version is, I think, much easier, and the hard version is something like a week 3, maybe? Non-trivial but not as complex as the hardest metas.
Icdogg

Post by Icdogg »

Yeah, the meta was relatively easy (then again I did the easier version). I was somewhere around 9th on the board once the board finally appeared.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Got it—the easy version (no need to torture myself). Now on to the Indie 500 Meta Suite.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If you didn't get an email right away telling you if your mega-meta answer was right or wrong, you should check with Pete to be sure he got it. He seemed to be having some web issues this morning.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 pm
If you didn't get an email right away telling you if your mega-meta answer was right or wrong, you should check with Pete to be sure he got it. He seemed to be having some web issues this morning.
I resent it last night - it apparently didn't go through the first time. I immediately got back the "WRONG!" email....that's -1 for me! :(
LesY

Post by LesY »

TMart wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:49 am
BarbaraK wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 pm

I resent it last night - it apparently didn't go through the first time. I immediately got back the "WRONG!" email....that's -1 for me! :(
Sorry to hear that! That was me last year (multiple times, early months). I'm still mull(er)ing....
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I finally got it a few hours ago. I know that you can only submit one answer for the monthly meta. Is that also the case for the mega meta? This is my first year doing these.