"Triple Feature" - June 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Hector

"Triple Feature" - June 2020

Post by Hector »

The meta for this puzzle is a song from the '60s.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I have a good guess, but want to ponder on it a bit more
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:00 pm I have a good guess, but want to ponder on it a bit more
Is that a MGW pun?
damefox

Post by damefox »

My answer was wrong, alas. I missed June last year too (although, last year I didn't start until May, so I'm already 4 months ahead as compared to last year's effort).
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Nearly sent in a wrong guess as well . . .
damefox wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:15 pm My answer was wrong, alas. I missed June last year too (although, last year I didn't start until May, so I'm already 4 months ahead as compared to last year's effort).
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I sent in the wrong answer too. First time miss on MMMM. Darn. Iโ€™ll take a look later and see if I can figure it out.

Well, Iโ€™m a little miffed at myself. Great meta construction.
Last edited by Beth Tyrpin on Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Had to restrain myself from several wrong guesses that seemed like they should be the answer.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TMart wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:48 pm Got it. Had to restrain myself from several wrong guesses that seemed like they should be the answer.
I have three such guesses but not enough proof that any particular one is correcter than another... so either I will think on it some more or my streak will end this month or...

Update: my streak is over. Ah well. 5 in a row isn't too shabby.
Last edited by Dplass on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:10 pm
ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:00 pm I have a good guess, but want to ponder on it a bit more
Is that a MGW pun?
Subconsciously
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I forgot that this was MMMM day! Fun one! If I had checked here first I might have waited before submitting, but fortunately I got it anyway. I'll be interested to hear the alternate answer(s).
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ruh roh, I think I submitted the wrong answer. Darn.
spotter

Post by spotter »

On the board! Nice to get back on the right foot after the MGWCC flop.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Also submitted a wrong answer. The correct answer is much better.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Hmmm. I just finished the grid and one answer comes to mind. But I see more than enough warnings here already about submitting in haste - thank you all!

I will PONDER a bit first (ARRRGH! if you were an MGWCC fail this week like me)

Edit 10 minutes later: THANK YOU MERCI DANKE GRACIAS for dissuading me from a quick submit. Found an answer I like "more better". And I'm on the board. Whew!

Very cool meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Oh, why did I submit so quickly? Now I know the right answer. Grrr!!!

I must say, though, my incorrect answer, in its own way, fits the title, the hint, and the positioning in the grid. Thatโ€™s quite a coincidence!
KayW

Post by KayW »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 pm Oh, why did I submit so quickly? Now I know the right answer. Grrr!!!

I must say, though, my incorrect answer, in its own way, fits the title, the hint, and the positioning in the grid. Thatโ€™s quite a coincidence!
It sounds like your first guess was better than mine. I hope you'll share post-deadline. And who knows, you may have grounds for an appeal!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Yay, I got it, that makes me 2 for 2 so far (but my record is much worse on the WSJ metas).
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

After seeing all of these wrong answers, I'll have to be careful. I find the answer to Pete's crosswords to often be less cut and dry than a WSJ meta.

Edit: I just figured it out. I was very close before, but hadn't heard of the song before, which slowed me down like it does every month I don't know the song. I do consider this one a 100%er and I just appeared on the leaderboard. I would have been shocked not to.

Edited to change the second paragraph, which I don't think was a spoiler, but just being safe.
Last edited by Eric Porter on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.