"Just Beyond the Surface" - September 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
sfrechet

Post by sfrechet »

I'd also love to have a small hint. I've filled the grid but am drawing a big blank on the meta this time.
stmv

Post by stmv »

After banging my head against the wall since Tuesday, finally tonight I got a flash of insight at the last minute and solved this sucker. This semi-makes up for me not seeing the jazz combos one.....

It's always amazing how obvious these things look once you've finally seen how they work.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I was able to see the 6 WATERs after a little while. "You Need Glasses" and "Missing Links" were kind of similar and got me in the habit of looking at common letters.

The strange thing that happened to me was that after I found all of them, I started typing "bridge" into Google. With only that word, "Bridge over troubled water" came right up to the top of the autocomplete! It was fortunate for me because I wasn't aware of the song. On a fresh browser, it was #7 or something. Google must know I've been searching for songs. I definitely would have found it without it being the top search result, but it was a little freaky to see Google be so accurate.