#656 - "Poetry in Motion"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

So, until I read the Fiend writeup just now, it never occurred to me that the clues for the 8 key entries rhymed (and in the same meter as the poem in question). CLATTER was one of the last words I filled in, and once I got that everything else in the grid popped out in bright neon. Because who uses "clatter" outside of that poem?

Also, I can finally say I have had this song going through my head constantly for the past 4 days...

https://youtu.be/KYtLhQduXS8
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:36 pm
mpmanning wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:04 pm I couldn't solve this this week 4 puzzle alone, or at least it seemed that way. Found some interesting factoids but no clear answer to other obvious questions (GAP?). So I paired with a buddy, RNR. No, not Red Nosed Reindeer! We made satisfactory progress and came to what we believe is the answer. I sent in the answer with a NO answer to the "Individual solve?" box. As I do not know how the leaderboard works if you check this box, I may have to wait for noon on Tuesday to check the answer on CrosswordFiend.
The leader board works the same no matter solo solve or not. If he updates and you are not on the board check the overall tab. If you are there and not in the this week tab, you submitted an incorrect answer.
Thanks for your advice. It was 1005 RIGHT ON, AS USUAL.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Easy for a week 4 but still in the โ€œnever gonna happenโ€ camp for me. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve read that poem in almost 40 years.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I got a Week 4 - it's a Christmas miracle!!

Week 3 and 4 probably were reversed in difficulty, but obviously, Week 4 had to be published on 12/25.

Looking forward to a great year of metas ahead!

Mike
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Sorry, but ROOF and HOOF don't rhyme. :-P

(Grabs popcorn)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

CLATTER was the word which, whilst in the shower, my thinking CAP burning brightly, made me realize this poem was deeply involved.

Then half way through it, looking for letters at the beginnings and at the ends of the lines, it hit me to pick the rhymes for those 8.

Then, MARS BARS, itself being a rhyme (though not a common treat on this side of the pond), hit me hard as the answer. Was almost there with St. Nicholas as an answer until I found the candy vein.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm Sorry, but ROOF and HOOF don't rhyme. :-P

(Grabs popcorn)
oh, enough. Tough.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.