#656 - "Poetry in Motion"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm step 1 identified
submitted, pending.

LATE EDIT - had dinner, watched two episodes of "His Dark Materials".

Confirmed. Merry/Happy Christmas to all. #22 for the year, streak of 8.
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I did the grid and definitely see something staring me in the face...just have to spend some post-holiday time and figure out exactly what it all means.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

2D?? Wait, Love Boat is WSJ; this is the Enterprise, right? We're getting the various board metaphors confused :)

I've beamed up! I was worried when I saw the title since poetry is not a strong suit, but quickly was reassured filling the grid that this would be OK. I think a week 5 last week and a week 2 this week average out to a 3 and a 4 for the latter half of this month.

And with this, I've achieved my solo-solve goal. I was trying for 48. Didn't quite make it in 2019, but got close enough to feel that it was in reach and decide to try again. This year, made it with two to spare. I'm rather pleased with myself, but I've also had enough of that. It's certainly been a challenge and made me a better solver, but I'm ready to go back to social solving whenever the whim arises.

I see a new page on Matt's site for Achievements. Looks like he's got some replacements for the old random drawings. One of them is being the first to solve. Maybe I'll have to set a new goal and start trying to guess from just the title and prompt.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:39 pm 2D?? Wait, Love Boat is WSJ; this is the Enterprise, right? We're getting the various board metaphors confused :)

I've beamed up! I was worried when I saw the title since poetry is not a strong suit, but quickly was reassured filling the grid that this would be OK. I think a week 5 last week and a week 2 this week average out to a 3 and a 4 for the latter half of this month.

And with this, I've achieved my solo-solve goal. I was trying for 48. Didn't quite make it in 2019, but got close enough to feel that it was in reach and decide to try again. This year, made it with two to spare. I'm rather pleased with myself, but I've also had enough of that. It's certainly been a challenge and made me a better solver, but I'm ready to go back to social solving whenever the whim arises.

I see a new page on Matt's site for Achievements. Looks like he's got some replacements for the old random drawings. One of them is being the first to solve. Maybe I'll have to set a new goal and start trying to guess from just the title and prompt.
Well I got a #3 this week; can't see myself ever getting higher than that though. That's some rarified air...
stmv

Post by stmv »

Drinking some pre-Christmas dinner rosé champagne brought inspiration, and so now I got it. Happy Holidays to everyone on these boards!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beam me up!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

How seriously should I take the word "a" in Matt's prompt? I've got an answer that clicks 100% outside of it not being "a" stocking stuffer....
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MikeM000 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:00 pm How seriously should I take the word "a" in Matt's prompt? I've got an answer that clicks 100% outside of it not being "a" stocking stuffer....
PM sent
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:02 pm
MikeM000 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:00 pm How seriously should I take the word "a" in Matt's prompt? I've got an answer that clicks 100% outside of it not being "a" stocking stuffer....
PM sent
Thanks! Got the message and will submit....

Edit: beamed! And I beat the queen of restaurant name puns by 34 minutes.
Last edited by MikeM000 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Huh. Currently in the "this is a meta?" stage.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:12 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:39 pm I see a new page on Matt's site for Achievements. Looks like he's got some replacements for the old random drawings. One of them is being the first to solve. Maybe I'll have to set a new goal and start trying to guess from just the title and prompt.
Well I got a #3 this week; can't see myself ever getting higher than that though. That's some rarified air...
I'm no speed solver - not by any stretch. You won't see me competing at the MMM 1A.

And I'm usually not particularly good at guessing either. But every now and then...

Right after Matt's son was born, there was a week 1 meta called "Crossword Puzzzzle" with the prompt, "This week’s contest answer is something I’ve been low on lately." I knew the answer before I even looked at the actual puzzle, and I'm sure many others did too. So for those willing to risk a surprise, it was really more a typing contest than a solving contest. I've never done that, but there are some who do, and maybe one day I will too.

Congratulations on your #3. That is great!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was fun (I Hope!). I have not been confirmed but I believe I got the right answer. So I will step into the transporter and hope that the setting are correct. We all know what happens if they aren't....
Return of the Fly TB.jpg
EDIT: Well I must have missed it because I checked and I'm pretty certain I submitted before the last update but I do not see my name. Rats, I was so sure, doesn't matter, I like my answer well enough that even if it isn't right I'm satisfied with it. I will be interested to see the actual answer though to find out where I went so horribly wrong.
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beam me up on a chilly Florida evening.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Submitted a bust.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ah I see a step 1. Maybe step 2 not sure yet.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

You can email submissions to Matt Gaffney

crosswordcontest@gmail.com
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I submitted a 95% sure answer. We all know where that led! Once again I let myself be influenced by comments that this was easy and submitted one step too early. It all seemed to fit but I guess I have to admit it did not mesh. In retrospect, my submission reminded me of one of my son's passions of putting a similar piece in the wrong place in one of his mother's jigsaw puzzles. Oh the fun that ensues!

The 100% answer clicks much better.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hope the people with alternate answers will post them after the deadline. The mechanism that worked was the second one I thought of (and the first went nowhere very quickly.) Always interesting to see what else is in there.