#654 - "It Was Forty Years Ago This Week"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nice and easy - not confirmed yet but the answer cannot be anything else. Fun puzzle, neat little extra clue - how does he do those things. I can think of a lot of songs by Mr. Lennon that would be apropos right now, but I'll hold lest I say too much.

In the meantime ....energize!
BEAM ME UP GOLD SHIRT.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Beamed aboard
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Energize.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Finally! I got my first solve on MGWCC #654! A week 2 puzzle that was more like a week 1. Now to work my way up to weeks 3 and 4.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Beam me up! Really glad this one was a week -3 because I was feeling especially foolish for overthinking the WSJ one all weekend.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Solution at Crossword Fiend

Oddly enough, I found this one through the 61 across nudge to the top row, and I knew all the parties involved. It wasn't until an hour or so after I was on the leaderboard that I said to myself "hey! the initials of the three long across entries...."

Which is kind of funny since I can see Lake Shore Drive from my apartment, and know this song from the 70s all too well. And if there had been any rumor that John Lennon appeared on it, I might have been tempted to submit it instead.

(And yes, there are less cheesy videos available, but I liked the way the opening graphics tie to the meta.)

And speaking of LSD, this coming April the Chicago City Council will vote on renaming this iconic roadway.
Last edited by KayW on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

GIMME SOME TRUTH would look amazing as the top (or bottom) row of a 16x? grid....
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

KayW wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:07 pm Solution at Crossword Fiend

Oddly enough, I found this one through the 61 across nudge to the top row, and I knew all the parties involved. It wasn't until an hour or so after I was on the leaderboard that I said to myself "hey! the initials of the three long across entries...."

Which is kind of funny since I can see Lake Shore Drive from my apartment, and know this song from the 70s all too well. And if there had been any rumor that John Lennon appeared on it, I might have been tempted to submit it instead.

(And yes, there are less cheesy videos available, but I liked the way the opening graphics tie to the meta.)

And speaking of LSD, this coming April the Chicago City Council will vote on renaming this iconic roadway.
I noticed the LSD entries right off and then saw the top row clue which confirmed what I suspected.

And that iconic roadway will always be LSD! JPBdSD is just too much to wrap the tongue around...
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Janet P wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:33 pm
KayW wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:07 pm Solution at Crossword Fiend

I noticed the LSD entries right off and then saw the top row clue which confirmed what I suspected.

And that iconic roadway will always be LSD! JPBdSD is just too much to wrap the tongue around...
I got this from the LSD starts to the three long entries, never even saw the top row reference! And the song by Aliotta Haynes & Jeremiah was running in my head too.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I got it from the top row reference and an hour later went ... hey, lookie at that ... nice way to make it 110%.

yes, thought a lot about this line:

Just slippin' on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.