#653 - "Camouflage"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up!
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This one was so easy that I was considering submitting a smart-ass answer, but then I wanted to have one of those little "10" square next to my name eventually. So Prussia, Assyria, Cappodocia, etc. -- that's now all a bygone idea.
Jay
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Energize.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Done and done. Yay for an easy and fun week one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Just joined last month (first puzzle was Missing Pieces, followed by a week 5, so of course I haven’t succeeded yet). On this one I saw some .. things.. right away that strongly suggested an answer (it seems obvious), but I feel like I should also see a confirmation to really be sure. ?? In other words, no “OHHH.. aha.. that’s clever” moment. Is that normal on a week one?

To submit or not to submit... 🤔
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:44 pm Just joined last month (first puzzle was Missing Pieces, followed by a week 5, so of course I haven’t succeeded yet). On this one I saw some .. things.. right away that strongly suggested an answer (it seems obvious), but I feel like I should also see a confirmation to really be sure. ?? In other words, no “OHHH.. aha.. that’s clever” moment. Is that normal on a week one?

I was in the exact same spot about 6 months ago. I joined on a week 4, didn't get it, then on the following week 1 there were 5 theme answers that all had SOS initials, and I didn't submit because I looked for *something more*.

Submit today's equivalent of "SOS" and you'll get on the board. That is what a week 1 (normally) is.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:44 pm Just joined last month (first puzzle was Missing Pieces, followed by a week 5, so of course I haven’t succeeded yet). On this one I saw some .. things.. right away that strongly suggested an answer (it seems obvious), but I feel like I should also see a confirmation to really be sure. ?? In other words, no “OHHH.. aha.. that’s clever” moment. Is that normal on a week one?

The best advice I can provide is this: don’t overthink week ones and week twos. They are usually straightforward. Expect multiple steps, twists and tricks in week three, four, five. Of course, there will be exceptions.
Jack Sullivan
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

...and....you got it!!! Congrats!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beam me up.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Beam me up.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am a beamer! I thought themer clues were clever.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Beam me up...
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beam me up. Had trouble with parts of the grid, but once done, the meta was easily reached. A perfect week 1.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

After one very small diversion down a teensy tiny rabbit hole I quickly extracted myself. Yes after weeks of having to decode the writings on the monolith, the ease of this one (Meta, not the grid necessarily) was a smooth ride home. I commiserate with HeadInHome because joining with the previous two weeks as your intro must have seemed like a "why did I do this"? Then getting this rather straightforward "AHA" (but AHA all the same) must have been a "What???". HeadInHome head to the WSJ one as well, also a rather quick solve and helps to build your "maybe this is not so bad". In the meantime I believe I can reliably feel:
BEAM ME UP.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Glad you submitted, sorry you had to start your META run with two triathalons but glad you are here!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 am Image
That is some excellent artwork, my friend!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 am Image
That is some excellent artwork, my friend!
I KNEW you would appreciate it, I think I may keep it for those odd occasions when I do manage to solve.

Thank you sir!

I am not to be left alone with photo editing software.
TMart

Post by TMart »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 am
BEAM ME UP.jpg

Happy to see you’re not wearing a red shirt - that guy never makes it out alive!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Rare for me to get it before grid even half done. Beam me up!

Stay well all