#651 - "Missing Piece"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
eisense

Post by eisense »

Cindy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:43 am
eisense wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 am Oofta. I'd welcome a ""nudge" but what's the etiquette for that? Does it begin with my sharing what I've found with a willing nudger? Thanks.
Eric
I don’t see a place to send you a PM. So I don’t think anyone will be able to help you with a nudge. Maybe something in your settings?
Thanks Cindy. I sent you a PM just now but it appears to be stuck in the Outbox.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

eisense wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm
eisense wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 am Oofta. I'd welcome a ""nudge" but what's the etiquette for that? Does it begin with my sharing what I've found with a willing nudger? Thanks.
Eric
I don’t see a place to send you a PM. So I don’t think anyone will be able to help you with a nudge. Maybe something in your settings?
Thanks Cindy. I sent you a PM just now but it appears to be stuck in the Outbox.
PMs stay in your Outbox until read by at least one of the addressees. Then they show in your Sent messages.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
peteg

Post by peteg »

I'd be more than happy to set "Solo Solve?" to "No" in exchange for the gentlest of nudges. I feel like there was a huge gulf between last week's and this one. Thanks!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Eric
It stays in the outbox until I read it. However it tells me you have PM receipt disabled.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I’m nowhere on this, and if it’s playing like a week five, I probably won’t ever get it solo. Thus, I would appreciate a nudge.

Re 3D I did comment on over on the WSJCC area
eisense

Post by eisense »

Cindy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm

It stays in the outbox until I read it. However it tells me you have PM receipt disabled.
aha. Just found the setting. Should work now. thanks.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

72 correct entries on a Monday afternoon for a Week 3...this does not bode well for me. I've done the ol' "set it down and sneak up on it later" bit too many times to have any real hope.

But who knows?

Also, it was nice to see 3D show up on the starship this week. :)
cisalope

Post by cisalope »

I'd love a nudge. I have some ideas but am not getting anywhere.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Awaiting an update confirmation, but I'm finally beaming up. So many rabbit holes! Thanks to Dannyvee for a nudge out of my labyrinth and into the tractor beams.

I'll say more post-deadline about the difficulties, but I thought this was a fantabulous construction.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lfsc

Post by lfsc »

This is a Week 3? Struggling to even find a toehold. Would appreciate a little nudge to help get us started!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I'd appreciate a nudge too please. Thanks.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Definitely needed some guidance on this one. I noticed some things but did not follow up on them. The chasm between steps was just too wide for me to figure out on my own. I get great nudges the still allowed me to get a kick when I saw the light though.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I’d love a little nudge, if someone would be so kind. Nothing promising at the moment, and the hour is growing late...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This meta was a work of art with an incredibly satisfying A-HA!, for which I had to work, despite the kind strategy verifications received.

Thank you, Matt!

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

I've got confirmation on the first step but been wracking my brain trying to see how to progress... Would very much welcome a nudge please:)
-HB
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I, too would love a nudge if anyone wants to send one my way... Thanks!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I’ll ask again for a nudge if anyone is willing. Thanks so much.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

This week turned out to be a real nudge- fest!
burak

Post by burak »

As a generally anti-nudge person, it looks like this is a week that I should have stayed off this thread :)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have had several requests for nudges from this board this week. And I will say without exception that no one was begging for a hint that would get them to the answer. In fact, in most cases, it was folks who haven’t been doing metas for very long and are trying to learn more about how to do metas. A couple have even stated right up front that they have no intention of submitting an answer. When I first started doing metas a few years ago, there was no one to ask anything. I think this board is a great place for folks to learn. And we all know that the more you do, the “easier” they get. And by this I mean you start to notice things that you never would have noticed previously.

When I give nudges, I ask the folks to tell me what they see. And then I tell them whether they are headed in the right or wrong direction. Sometimes this helps someone to a solution and sometimes not. But that is the world of puzzles. You cannot solve all the puzzles all the time.

Case in point, on the MMMM this month, I had to let my personal streak go and my perfect 2020. Such is life.