#649 - "Look Both Ways"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

In true-to-life fashion, I follow up a week 5 where everything makes immediate 1000% sense and takes 15 minutes to solve with a week 1 where there is nothing. If anyone wants to give a nudge, my inbox is open. Thanks!

EDIT:Got a nudge; consider me beamed! Thanks!
spotter

Post by spotter »

WOW! I can't believe it took me so long to get this one. At long last, beam me up!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This one came really easy for me, but it was because of an initial error. I put UCLA in for the PAC-10 team. I am OCD so I usually do the first A clues and then go back and do the first D clues. When I went back and added the down DUCK (hmm down duck, should I have put in Eider?) I thought "ha Daffy Duck", but by the point where I got to having to put in UTES, and being a proud graduate of the University of Utah, I looked back at UCLA and sure enough it was incorrect and only UTAH would do. I of course finished the rest of the puzzle all the way (refer back to OCD comment) but I knew I had the mechanism and the common letter for each just made sense.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I got hung up on double letters for waaaaay too long. I thought I counted 10 double letter instances for quite a while, and then I realized I had missed one and there were actually 11 so I finally abandoned that path.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Quick for me too: My first entry was UTES, and when I went with UTAH over UCLA I thought "Matt should have cross-referenced those two". My next area was DAFFY/DUCK and the gimmick was clear.

That middle area is pretty amazing, even with ALEXW. This might be one of the best Week 1s ever.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

First week one puzzle that I've dnf'ed on since I joined MGWCC. I did note that there were 10 five-letter words, but obviously couldn't make a ten-letter phrase out of them. That is, unless "DUCLAAWEMH" has a special meaning I'm unaware of.

Aside: I had to wait for the solution to see the second letter of 32A/last letter of 12D. I'm probably one of few people who have never stepped foot inside a Starbucks. Aside aside: I have a friend whose last name is Starbuck. Sometimes he uses *$ as a signature.

The dry spell continues. Will have to wait until Friday to see if the week two is really a week one difficulty, like Matt suggests on Crossword fiend.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

spotter wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:24 pm I got hung up on double letters for waaaaay too long. I thought I counted 10 double letter instances for quite a while, and then I realized I had missed one and there were actually 11 so I finally abandoned that path.
I first thought it would be the words that read the same forward and backward, and when I looked at those, I got 10 letters. Had to finally abandon that path, too.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OGuyDave wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:46 pm First week one puzzle that I've dnf'ed on since I joined MGWCC. I did note that there were 10 five-letter words, but obviously couldn't make a ten-letter phrase out of them. That is, unless "DUCLAAWEMH" has a special meaning I'm unaware of.

Aside: I had to wait for the solution to see the second letter of 32A/last letter of 12D. I'm probably one of few people who have never stepped foot inside a Starbucks. Aside aside: I have a friend whose last name is Starbuck. Sometimes he uses *$ as a signature.

The dry spell continues. Will have to wait until Friday to see if the week two is really a week one difficulty, like Matt suggests on Crossword fiend.
Well I knew what a PSL was ONLY because I had one once and the horror is burned into my brain! I do not drink flavored coffees of any sort (well perhaps flavored with Irish Whiskey) but a Pumpkin Spice Latte, to me, was enough to make me buy a fresh cup of black coffee to try to get the taste out of my mouth. One man's ceiling is another man's floor as they say.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

DrTom wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:53 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:46 pm First week one puzzle that I've dnf'ed on since I joined MGWCC. I did note that there were 10 five-letter words, but obviously couldn't make a ten-letter phrase out of them. That is, unless "DUCLAAWEMH" has a special meaning I'm unaware of.

Well I knew what a PSL was ONLY because I had one once and the horror is burned into my brain! I do not drink flavored coffees of any sort (well perhaps flavored with Irish Whiskey) but a Pumpkin Spice Latte, to me, was enough to make me buy a fresh cup of black coffee to try to get the taste out of my mouth. One man's ceiling is another man's floor as they say.
And now I know what the "S" in "PSL" stands for. Thanks!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:53 pm

I only recognized PSL as that flavor because of the excellent parody video by the Holderness family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFaweymwkow