#648 - "Rise and Fall"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I had the Chutes & Ladders theme early on, but couldn't make it work. Fantastic meta. Blown away at the construction.
burak

Post by burak »

Holy ******* **** that's amazing. If I had a lot of time on my hand I maybe could've solved this one but I won't regret it at all.

Amazing meta. Contender for the best meta of the year.
ckingsc

Post by ckingsc »

Hello everyone! Chris here, constructor of #648 "Rise and Fall".

I wanted to say thank you all so much for the amazing praise in this thread. This puzzle took a while to put together, and I'm so pleased with how it came out. I'm also very grateful for Matt for allowing me to run this meta in his MGWCC series. A true Week 5 indeed, and don't worry, I don't have another puzzle like this one in the tank, so rest easy!

I think most of the little bits hidden away in this puzzle have been mentioned so far, except for 2:

1. The entry WHITESNAKE was in fact picked because Snakes and Ladders is the name of the British/ancient version of the game.
2. Both the title and answer of this puzzle was "???? AND ??LL".

Congratulations to all of those who found our trick-or-treaters, and thank you all for the extremely kind posts. Hope you all enjoyed the ups and downs of this puzzle!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

ckingsc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:49 pm Hello everyone! Chris here, constructor of #648 "Rise and Fall".
I think many of us would be interested in seeing more of your past work; if you've published other metas previously, please let us know where to find them....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 pm
ckingsc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:49 pm Hello everyone! Chris here, constructor of #648 "Rise and Fall".
I think many of us would be interested in seeing more of your past work; if you've published other metas previously, please let us know where to find them....
Yes, what he said!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wow! what a meta!

The sandbar I was resting on en route to shore was the LAKERS FAN / DOCTOR WIFE at the C&L "LEAD-INS" - great cluing there at 1- and 121- across!
And as I was solving the latter, I was anticipating "DOCTOR WHO". But no.

But that did not sound like a meta answer to me so I sat on it awhile and eventually saw my way thru to the other ends of the C&Ls.

The funny thing is - when I first looked at this meta, two Hail Mary answers came to mind from the title. One was MARIO and LUIGI, and the other was JACK and JILL. With my luck, if I had needed a Hail Mary I would have picked M&L.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
stmv

Post by stmv »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 pm
On the MGWCC page introducing Chris's puzzle Matt Gaffney wrote:

"I was especially excited when Chris sent me this one since he was the October 2015 winner of my Crossword of the Month http://gaffneyoncrosswords.com/?p=691 for an outstanding meta, and a nominee several other times for lovely, complex metas (or quasi-metas) including https://chriswords.com/2015/06/21/meta- ... -hands-35/ and https://chriswords.com/2016/07/10/match-game-76/ and https://chriswords.com/2016/07/17/we-got-one-77/."

I looked at those metas and they are indeed worthy of comparison with this Chutes and Ladders one.