#647 - "Time to Reorder"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Grid got off to a quick start with the gimme at 41D. Meta seemed too easy for week 4, and I wondered about a pageant, so I set it aside for a day. But I decided that that was it; Matt's probably lulling me into a false sense of security ahead of next week.

Beamed out, but still on the WSJ lost at sea cruise.
elementary

Post by elementary »

Beam me up! (After a slight nudge that left me frustrated that I hadn't put the pieces together earlier.)
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beam me up! Happy to have solved one meta this weekend! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคž
Schep

Post by Schep »

Good evening! Iโ€™ve got a theory that Iโ€™d like to check if anyone is willing to humor me. Thanks!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Janet P wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:05 pm
Janet P wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:00 pm Beam me up. Wish I'd subscribed a long time ago. Can't wait to try a week 5!
Thanks, Janet... *THAT* won't jinx us! ;)
Sorry...
Are you suggesting that my first three MGWCC successes have lulled me into a false sense of security? ;)
I'm suggesting that we're (I don't mind admitting to talking in the 3rd person, if need be) a superstitious lot! :)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

i've been stuck for hours on what i'm sure must be the first step but am equally sure is not the first step because it doesn't seem to lead to anywhere. would anyone be kind enough to be a sounding board or offer a small nudge? thanks in advance!

update: pretty sure i have it after a nudge ... off to submit :)
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up! Now back to wsj...
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

If someone's willing I'd be interested in a nudge. I have only a tiny weird thing so far that may be nothing but maybe something.
burak

Post by burak »

I'm obsessed with a glaring peculiarity that I think would have to point me towards something, but I might at this point be too far gone into the "I cannot unsee it yet I don't know what to do with it thus I'm doomed" zone. A good night's sleep and a freshly printed grid might help tomorrow.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

burak wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:30 pm I'm obsessed with a glaring peculiarity that I think would have to point me towards something, but I might at this point be too far gone into the "I cannot unsee it yet I don't know what to do with it thus I'm doomed" zone. A good night's sleep and a freshly printed grid might help tomorrow.
I think I know exactly what you mean. I too saw something similar and I have no idea how it ties into any of the long answers or anything else.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Beam me up. Those peculiarities are key (assuming that we are talking about the same ones). The meta is a 100%er once you see it.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Would love a little nudge here. I see one glaring peculiarity as well, and I'm obviously not interpreting the long answers correctly so far.

Edit: Answer submitted after a nudge
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

spotter wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:09 pm Would love a little nudge here. I see one glaring peculiarity as well, and I'm obviously not interpreting the long answers correctly so far.

Edit: Answer submitted after a nudge
After going down in flames on the WSJCC, I would appreciate a nudge as well.

Edit: Got it after a nudge!
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Okay, after a solid 3 days of effort I'm running up the white (maybe gray?) flag and requesting a kind nudge.
streakchaser

Post by streakchaser »

I'm not quite ready to give up so I'd love a (gentle) nudge as well, if anyone's willing.
chnest

Post by chnest »

So, I feel like I have two parts of the solution, but no way to force them together :)

Anyone feel like giving me a nudge?

Thanks
Frausty

Post by Frausty »

Eleventh hour request for a nudge, please, if anyone sees this on time!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I would love a last-minute nudge as well if anyone is looking right now, not quite ready to give up entirely!
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Panic setting in after building up a nice streak - my hunch hasn't led anywhere yet so would love a last minute nudge please.

EDIT - massive facepalm, the clocks went back an hour in the UK :oops:
Last edited by hashbrown on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-HB
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I was close on this one... noticed the 0-9, lamented that there was no square 0, noticed that "TRITE" made more sense than "RITE", but didn't connect the dots. Someday I will (hopefully) start putting these together.