#642 - "We're Surrounded!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Submitted my answer and held my breath. Beam me up!
Jack Sullivan
smashburn

Post by smashburn »

Second the hint request. My father and I are stumped by this one for a second day.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Beam me up. Not the strongest meta I've ever seen, but I'm confident in my answer. I'm looking forward to the writeup to see if I'm missing something that makes it better.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I'm normally averse to hints, I love to puzzle these out, but I'm particularly flummoxed that I must be missing something horribly obvious, and it's making me grouchy. The tiniest nudge would get my week off to a better start. I appreciate you.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I started writing a PM to send to someone who had solved it (not sure who that would be), a letter detailing the dead ends and false leads I’d been pursuing. And as I was typing the clues and entries that were perplexing me and explaining why, I suddenly saw what I’d been not-seeing for two days. I feel about this one the way I felt about Will’s Anatomy answer. Or as I commented at MGWCC, though it’s not much of a Talkin’ ’bout my generation — Not!.

Matt hasn’t updated in six hours, but I’m sure I’ve got it even though I just wonder how much of a stickler he’s going to be about the answer.
Jay
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On board with this one. Not on Matt's board since he hasn't updated for over 9 hours, but it is a sure thing. Once I got the first rabbit hole I guessed the correct answer and just had to justify it with further work. Nice puzzle. I think I know what others think would make this better.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board. There wasn’t a strong aha moment with this one. While I’m certainly glad that I submitted the correct answer, I still don’t see what wraps this up with a bow. :?:
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

After getting excited thinking I had a path twice, I’m now lost. If anyone is willing to give a hint I’d appreciate it.

Edit: thanks for the hint. Solved with a wonderful guide!
Last edited by SusieG on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Offered a tiny bit of help & was paid back tenfold. Not a solo solve, due to someone else's brilliance. Beam me up, never-the-less!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
unaccustomed

Post by unaccustomed »

hello, would really appreciate a hint :( i have a similarity for all the long entries but don't know what to do beyond that :(
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

unaccustomed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm hello, would really appreciate a hint :( i have a similarity for all the long entries but don't know what to do beyond that :(
i could use one too. my page is burnt from my stares.... :lol:
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I'm so close but can't crack the final step. Can I run my roadblock by someone?
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

802puzzler wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 pm I'm so close but can't crack the final step. Can I run my roadblock by someone?
All set - thank you!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Woo Hoo - made it to the shore after an inspirational message from one of the masters (see #29)! OK, streak of one on both WSJCC and MDWCC - too late now but tomorrow at 5 PM - CELEBRATION!! (and I do not mean a trip to a town near Disney World)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm On the board. There wasn’t a strong aha moment with this one. While I’m certainly glad that I submitted the correct answer, I still don’t see what wraps this up with a bow. :?:
I think I agree; I was 100% on my answer, but I feel like there may have been an extra touch went over my head! Looking forward to the reveal.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm On the board. There wasn’t a strong aha moment with this one. While I’m certainly glad that I submitted the correct answer, I still don’t see what wraps this up with a bow. :?:
Agree, and I know that I'm correct but it seems like one of those where it is "well if A=B and B=C then A=C", and when I do that I usually get burned. I mean in hindsight it could not have been anything else but it certainly is not one where where I would not even have to look to know that I submitted the correct answer. However, since I really kind of stumbled on the mechanism I might just have missed the cute little bow. I mean on the whole Matt packages these such that you look and say DAMN, how does he do that?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SEP 22, 2020 AT 2:42 AM

Deadline for MGWCC #642 is *Wednesday* at noon ET!

Dear MGWCC Solver,

D'oh! I did it again. Forgot to mention that due to the delayed puzzle, this week's deadline is Wednesday at noon ET instead of the usual Tuesday.

--Matt
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Been stuck over Sunday and Monday so a small nudge via PM would be very much appreciated for this week's puzzle :)

EDIT: Beam me up! (after a couple of nudges from some kind Muggles)
Last edited by hashbrown on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-HB
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Prozach wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm
unaccustomed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm hello, would really appreciate a hint :( i have a similarity for all the long entries but don't know what to do beyond that :(
i could use one too. my page is burnt from my stares.... :lol:
I finally got it after staring at the page for a long time. In hindsight, I had most of the components written on my page already. I just went a little too far and complex.
So:

Step 1 - was a check.
Step 2 - I took a far bigger step than I needed.

Thanks to those who helped.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

If anyone still needs a hint before the extended deadline, feel free to shoot me a dm.