#639 - "Can You Find a Better Example?"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:14 pm Going nowhere on this one. Must be overthinking or under thinking this.
Those do seem the two obvious options. I guess there’s mis-thinking too.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Laura M wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:47 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:49 pm Laura, I just knew those three X’s were important (or maybe islet was the key or something else). Scouring the clues lead me to the clue about three III’s being Iotas. OK now we’re talkin’. Greek letters in groups of three. I couldn’t figure out what to do with them , or even what Greek letters they represented, so as the deadline approached I sent in 2K as my long shot guess (only one K in the grid). To my shock my name appeared on the leaderboard.
Sorry, I'm... confused... 2K was accepted as a correct answer?

(I also was sure that the III clue meant something!)
No. I sent an email that my answer was wrong and was accepted by accident. Matt fixed it.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Stumped, at least for now... Maybe I'll brew a cup and see if my coffee's also magic.
Normally I'm not too bothered by not being able to solve a week 4, but with my last name, this one's personal!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:30 pm Stumped, at least for now... Maybe I'll brew a cup and see if my coffee's also magic.
Normally I'm not too bothered by not being able to solve a week 4, but with my last name, this one's personal!
It worked! My coffee's also magic!!

Well...kinda... got the first step for sure. Still trying to figure out where to go now.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:59 pm
AnswerPfinder wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:30 pm Stumped, at least for now... Maybe I'll brew a cup and see if my coffee's also magic.

Well...kinda... got the first step for sure. Still trying to figure out where to go now.
Holy cow, I think I got it! Waiting for confirmation, but feeling good - Thanks Joe for the suggestion!!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Grid solved, but I'd love a nudge because I can't wait until Wednesday to see what I'm missing. TIA
Joe

Post by Joe »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:10 pm
AnswerPfinder wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Holy cow, I think I got it! Waiting for confirmation, but feeling good - Thanks Joe for the suggestion!!
You're welcome! Magic coffee is the answer to a lot of things.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I really enjoyed this one. Beam me up! Unfortunately, I’m still LAS on the WSJCC. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:31 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:14 pm Going nowhere on this one. Must be overthinking or under thinking this.
There are those of us that succumb to rethinking.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:31 pm
There are those of us that succumb to rethinking.
And my kids are sick of hearing me say (about life's problems, big & small), "Sometimes you have to out-think it!"
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Dplass wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:31 pm
damefox wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:09 pm Ugh, I think I'm getting worse at these. Nothing, nothing, and more nothing. Maybe I should just stick to the WSJ.
I feel that way most weeks...maybe I should just stick to regular crosswords...
I think that about half the time. Although I feel so smart the other half of the time when I solve a meta! I guess that’s what keeps me coming back for more.
burak

Post by burak »

Quickest MGWCC Week 4 I'll ever solve probably. Yes, Matt probably compensated a little for what happened last week but that's not the only reason for why I was super fast with this one. Will say more after the deadline.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Would appreciate a small nudge or someone to chat through potential leads with, been coming up empty so far...
-HB
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

hashbrown wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:14 am Would appreciate a small nudge or someone to chat through potential leads with, been coming up empty so far...
Same please.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

802puzzler wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:44 pm Grid solved, but I'd love a nudge because I can't wait until Wednesday to see what I'm missing. TIA
If you check the Diary of a Crossword Fiend blog, they usually have the writeup Tuesday morning around 9 a.m. Pacific.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Whew. Got it. It was a painful journey.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

LAS
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

After getting various nudges I submitted something and am anxiously awaiting a leaderboard update.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I would love some tiny kick in the right direction from any willing party....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I think I may actually have solved this week 4, believe it or not. I do think that Matt may have taken his foot off the pedal but I don't care. If I have solved a week 4 I am going to carve it into the dining room table. I am waiting for confirmation but I am very sure its correct. I'll let you all know.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!