#639 - "Can You Find a Better Example?"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it, with a small nudge from Cindy.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeM000 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:24 pm I would love some tiny kick in the right direction from any willing party....
I PMed you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 pm
MikeM000 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:24 pm I would love some tiny kick in the right direction from any willing party....
I PMed you!
Thanks! I've got your offer and a couple hints others have given...I need to sit down and see if I can put stuff together. I appreciate it!
streakchaser

Post by streakchaser »

Have been staring but making no progress on this. I'm keeping the hope alive!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Woo Hoo - confirmed that I have been beamed up to the Mother Ship - a week 4 (or perhaps a weak 4) unaided and un-nudged, I was so proud of myself that I pulled out the Buffalo Rare to give me a treat - nice stuff. I keep looking for Pappy, we will see!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Dplass wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:06 pm After getting various nudges I submitted something and am anxiously awaiting a leaderboard update.
Yup, got it.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I could use a nudge also please.

Got it after a kind nudge. Not on the board yet, but confident.

Actually I am missed it since I misread the meta directions. I sent in what I want to do, not what "sounds like" something I will want to do. Oh well, liked it anyway.

Actually Matt put me on now. Thanks to all.
Last edited by bhamren on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Beam me up! Thanks to Cindy and Dplass for some productive discussion:)
-HB
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

hashbrown wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am Beam me up! Thanks to Cindy and Dplass for some productive discussion:)
Same! Thanks to Cindy and hashbrown for some productive discussion :)
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m going in circles on this. May be stuck in one of my ruts where I won’t let go of a bad idea. If anyone would be willing to help me find a different direction I’d appreciate it!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Okay, after struggling last week I'm even worse off this week. If anybody is kind enough to provide one of those nudges I've heard so much about I'd be eternally grateful!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Seems like every time there are parentheses involved in a meta, it hurts me more than it helps. Still struggling on this one.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Thanks much to Cindy for the assistance! Submitted an answer - now to play the waiting game... aw, the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!

Update: on the board! Sorry for the obscure Simpsons reference above.
streakchaser

Post by streakchaser »

Submitted an answer, also thanks to Cindy's nudge. If I'm right, the puzzle construction is impressive but the solution requires too many logical leaps for my taste.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally beam me up! (Only took three days, but hey, I got it!)
Heidi
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I think I see some things, but may be a mirage, and I haven't had quite as much time to look as it as I'd like. If anyone can provide a small nudge, I'd appreciate it.
Edit: or if anybody else who is also stuck wants to compare notes, let me know.
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

cherikee wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:54 pm I think I see some things, but may be a mirage, and I haven't had quite as much time to look as it as I'd like. If anyone can provide a small nudge, I'd appreciate it.
Edit: or if anybody else who is also stuck wants to compare notes, let me know.
I solved this, but took a little help to get there... I think a little too much to submit. I'll try to have Gaffney's stats reflect when I'm actually good enough to do these on my own.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Cindy and Orsys but pointed me in the right direction and I am on the board! Thanks....
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Bouncing ideas back and forth with my brother and sister-in-law, finally got it. With not much time to spare : finished both WSJ and MG with 20 minutes to go.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Not this time for me. I was pretty hung up for a while trying to make the NATO alphabet do something (Papa, Golf, Kilo, Whiskey, Hotel). It didn't help me that wRYEr and WHISKEY (a 7 letter word) went so well together. Then pSALm (MINEO) and hONOr (as in yoko ONO) were other rabbits I chased for a bit. GRIND kept popping into my mind, but I was nowhere close to getting PAEAN, KEN, or HAIL so I never made any headway on that path. Ready for week 1 I suppose.