#639 - "Can You Find a Better Example?"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#639 - "Can You Find a Better Example?"

Post by Hector »

This week’s contest answer sounds like something you’ll want to do after solving this meta.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Yes I did!
TMart

Post by TMart »

On the board at lucky 13. I seem to have a knack for submitting just after the update.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Cindy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pmYes I did!
Screenshot that Streak board!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Wonder if Matt eased up a bit to compensate for last week?
How else to explain a quick solve on my part.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Cindy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pmYes I did!
Screenshot that Streak board!
I already did!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al, you are one speedy solver! Oh, I got it, just after you.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Think I have it-confirmed. I think that we had a week three and a week four this month, just in reverse order.
Last edited by oldjudge on Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

On the board! Glad to not have to worry about it all weekend (like always) :) :)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Gneiss.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I got it (after failing last week), it's nice to see my name on the leaderboard, but there was a part of my solution that I didn't understand, so I look forward to the post-solve explanations.

Edited to add: Oops, now that I take a second look I see that I was looking at the wrong thing for one part of the puzzle, and now I see that it makes total sense after all. I'm glad that I was able to get the right answer despite my mistake.....
Last edited by stmv on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! And congrats to all of you with crazy impressive streaks, I'm in awe!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Waiting for a leader board update, but I believe that I have it. Almost went with the wrong answer (tbd), but caught myself just before submission.

Edit - Confirmed. On the board.
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Beam me up! Almost gave up with my strategy, but came back and found what I needed.
spotter

Post by spotter »

No luck for me still. I've found two exciting things that aren't taking me anywhere so far.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Beam me up.

I think Matt got his weeks mis-sorted this month. For me, this was much easier than last week... which left me x-hausted and c-sick ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Incidentally, I enjoyed last week's writeup where Matt said
The natural thing to do once you notice all of that is map the location of the X’s in the central 5×5 onto the other 5x5s
Um hahahaha apparently the natural thing for ME to do was to obsessively chart the frequency and locations of all of the other letters in the grid*, so you know. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not normal :-)

*Did you know that in addition to the three Xs, there were also three Bs, Hs, Ms, Us, and Ys, all somewhat localized in the grid? Did you also know that if you open the grid in Paint and try various ways to connect the same letters together, it will completely fail to make an intelligible treasure map? You're welcome for this very useful knowledge.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Laura M wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:05 pm Incidentally, I enjoyed last week's writeup where Matt said
The natural thing to do once you notice all of that is map the location of the X’s in the central 5×5 onto the other 5x5s
Um hahahaha apparently the natural thing for ME to do was to obsessively chart the frequency and locations of all of the other letters in the grid*, so you know. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not normal :-)

*Did you know that in addition to the three Xs, there were also three Bs, Hs, Ms, Us, and Ys, all somewhat localized in the grid? Did you also know that if you open the grid in Paint and try various ways to connect the same letters together, it will completely fail to make an intelligible treasure map? You're welcome for this very useful knowledge.
This is pretty much how I feel most weeks.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Dplass wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 pm This is pretty much how I feel most weeks.
I DNF not infrequently, and on those occasions feel like I get much more out of the experience than when I luck into the early insight.