#638 - "Treasure Hunt"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#638 - "Treasure Hunt"

Post by Hector »

. . . by the Feared Pirate Captain Gridd.

The Feared Pirate Captain Gridd has hidden a great piece of treasure. Are you clever enough to find it? This week’s contest answer is the missing piece of treasure.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Much fun!

Do I vaguely recall a WSJCC, from several years back, that may have been somewhat similar? Though maybe not. After solving -- or failing to solve -- I tend to put the puzzles out of my mind. But I do remember sitting in the garage, during our neighborhood yard sale, while the bargain hunters worked through the merchandise, coming to a similar aha ... Who knows, it may have helped me get this one.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I submitted what I thought was a solid answer. When I didn't make the board, I went back and looked again and saw the correct answer. Year long streak is over. :cry:

I like Matt Sajak better than Captain Gridd.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I think I might have it
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I think (hope) I have it. 🤞(confirmed)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

By george I did have it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got it, but I had help.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Have a definite foot in the door but no more. Cheers to the solvers!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam me up!

I almost took a shortcut with this one. Noticed something in my early floundering but didn't interpret it correctly at the time. Then later on, I was there again and so was the answer.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Matt Sajak, Captain Gridd— I predict that next week we will have a music meta based on the lyrics of Motley Clues.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up! I woke up this morning with an idea that worked out (almost) perfectly. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Now back to that couch I’m building for Monday.... ;)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

still making a raft using back hair to try to get off the ship.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I see things that seem like they could not be accidental. I have an idea, quite possibly wrong, as to the general strategy used to construct the puzzle. But none of that has proven useful so far.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm I see things that seem like they could not be accidental. I have an idea, quite possibly wrong, as to the general strategy used to construct the puzzle. But none of that has proven useful so far.
Same here.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:07 pm Beam me up!

Much fun!

Do I vaguely recall a WSJCC, from several years back, that may have been somewhat similar? Though maybe not. After solving -- or failing to solve -- I tend to put the puzzles out of my mind. But I do remember sitting in the garage, during our neighborhood yard sale, while the bargain hunters worked through the merchandise, coming to a similar aha ... Who knows, it may have helped me get this one.
Is it too late to have a yard sale? Oh, wait. I live in a NYC apartment. I don't have a yard. Or a garage. I guess I'll just keep staring at the grid.
Jay
Schep

Post by Schep »

I’ve had a few theories that haven’t panned out yet. If anyone is able to share a nudge it’d be greatly appreciated!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

same, I'm lost at "sea".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Dplass wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm I see things that seem like they could not be accidental. I have an idea, quite possibly wrong, as to the general strategy used to construct the puzzle. But none of that has proven useful so far.
Same here.
Me three. I am digging one heck of a rut in what is probably a dead-end rabbit hole.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Add me to the list of muggles in desperate need of a life preserver.
-HB
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Have never given nudges before, but can do so on this one, if you PM me. Will be busy from 3:30-6:30 EDT today, but nothing on my plate before or after that.