#636 - "Team Meta"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Week 5 made more sense after reading the intended solving path (still would never have gotten there myself).
stmv

Post by stmv »

Got it with no problem, for once.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! I love a week one after I crashed and burned last week.
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up. Whoo hoo! #206! I took a beer break waiting for the puzzle to come.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

submitted, nice week one.

EDIT: already on the board at #222 - got lucky, he must have been at his keyboard at that moment.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

A nice, satisfying week 1.
Done
Anita

Post by Anita »

Knew what the mechanism would be before entering anything. And got the meta before 1/4 of the grid was filled!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:19 pm I think I saved you. The answer is the Cleveland Naps. Opps sorry for the spoiler.
No, it's the Cleveland Spiders. In 1899, the worst record in Major League Baseball history (20-134): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Spiders

You know, if the Cleveland Indians change their name (which, dare I say, they should), how about bringing back the Spiders? A team with that name would probably sell a ton of merchandise (hats, jerseys, pennants, etc.).

Oh, I got the meta BTW.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Spiders is good, but Naps (named for Nap Lajoie, 1903-1914) is neat too, especially if they look like they are sleeping in the field.
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Like others, I figured out the mechanism before finishing the grid. Nice week 1!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:17 pm Anyone know any good jokes? I heard one about a puzzle that’s supposed to come out Fridays at noon.....
OK, I'll give it a try...

A crossword META walks into a bar 30 minutes after it closed..."sorry I'm late, says the puzzle!", "Not to worry", says the bartender, "you're my first Patreon of the day"

EDIT: I'm "ashore" now back to WSJCC which is eluding me like a rabbit running for its warren. I guess he is looking for warren peace?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Funny story, I got the answer before I even had the answer because I made a wrong guess on something I did not know when answering clues. Then when I went back I thought "hey didn't I enter that already?"If you got the answer you know what I am talking about, if not I'll explain after Noon on Tuesday.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I put this aside for a couple of days. I had all the team names listed in a spreadsheet at first and went back and forth. Now I look at it today and it became like a week 1. At first it was a week 4 or 5 in my mind, but once I saw the answer I was embarassed it took to long.
Meg

Post by Meg »

bhamren wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am I put this aside for a couple of days. I had all the team names listed in a spreadsheet at first and went back and forth. Now I look at it today and it became like a week 1. At first it was a week 4 or 5 in my mind, but once I saw the answer I was embarassed it took to long.
That's a common experience. Often followed by a forehead slap.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

solved. i really needed a week one this week!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I mentioned that I had the answer before I had the answer, and it just goes to show how very little i know about baseball I'm afraid. When I got to 8D I already had 1A (EPITATH), 17A (SPAREDNOEXPENSE) and 28A (AHAS) filled in. I looked at the clue and thought, sounds like baseball players to me, so since I had P_D_ _ S I filled in PADRES. I had to go back and fix it when I got 15 and 23A, but then later on it hit me "wait didn't I see PADRES" so the anagram was even easier. Hey, I'll take dumb luck and I'm certain I do not have a MONOPOLY (groan) on that.