#634 - "Foursquare"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Beam me up! A second look today and there it was. Funny how that works.
pamster

Post by pamster »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:58 pm I guess Matt figured that last week's was really a Week 4, so this one is a Week 3. There was a path that I very quickly sensed was a dead end, but I spend a lot of time on it anyway. Then I realized the general strategy -- a familiar one in these puzzles -- and kicked myself for not going there sooner.
That was exactly my experience.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it! And just realized we will have a week 5 this month. Yikes!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Beam me up!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up! Really enjoyed this one. Brought back memories of youth.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:45 pm Beam me up! I see why people are saying it's on the easy side, but it took my brain a while to come up with the second step. Very cool when I got there though.
Solved, but the same thing happened to me. Yesterday I knew I was on the right track but couldn't see the finish line. Today I finally had my "a-ha" moment.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got it! I'll take it as consolation for FAILING the WSJ this week.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Well the number of correct entries has exceeded Matt's goal of 375 on this one (397 at the time of this posting). I found this one hard, until I didn't. Interesting to let the numbers speak for themselves.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ok, I've submitted my guess, so if anyone wants to PM me and show me the correct path, much appreciated.

unless I somehow got it right, but there are 8 letters and I'm only using 4 of them. So probably not correct.

EDIT: thanks BarbaraK - wow, I had parts of the mechanism, I just didn't take my tools and apply them very well.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.