#633 - "Harmonize"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up. Not my favorite but fun nonetheless. Stay well all. Now back to WSJCC where I am completely LAS and Isaac is keeping my wine glass full.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Funny how these metas work. Or I should say, how the brain cells work. You either see it or you don't....

I saw this week's WSJCC mechanism before I even completed the grid. This one ...so far a big fat nothing. Well. Lots of (so far) meaningless rabbit holes. But nothing productive.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 am Funny how these metas work. Or I should say, how the brain cells work. You either see it or you don't....

I saw this week's WSJCC mechanism before I even completed the grid. This one ...so far a big fat nothing. Well. Lots of (so far) meaningless rabbit holes. But nothing productive.
I'm with you this week! Taking the puzzle for a drink tonight though. It's been a long time since I've done that.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:45 pm
KayW wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 am Funny how these metas work. Or I should say, how the brain cells work. You either see it or you don't....

I'm with you this week! Taking the puzzle for a drink tonight though. It's been a long time since I've done that.
Lucky puzzle!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My brain cells are not working. I don't see a way into either of these weekend puzzles.
Jay
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Remember that the puzzle is under age. Only Shirley Temples for it.
Lookout Bear

Post by Lookout Bear »

Got it! Not my favorite, especially compared to the awesome WSJCC this week, but Matt sets the bar really high.

Happy to help people out of rabbit holes - lemme know if you want to run any ideas by me.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Lookout Bear wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:08 pm Got it! Not my favorite, especially compared to the awesome WSJCC this week, but Matt sets the bar really high.

Happy to help people out of rabbit holes - lemme know if you want to run any ideas by me.
Considering he wrote both of them, the bar is ... The bar!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Just got it. Beam me up!
Heidi
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well just for kicks, I went out to a free covid testing site. And holy moly. Pretty sure I'm now getting twice as much oxygen to my brain as I was before the test, so I should be able to knock this out tonight for sure!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Beam me up! Submitted and waiting for an update, but this one is 100% (uh oh, famous last words...)

Edit: on the board. Whew.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

gah been working on this for a day and a half and all i have is what i think will turn out to be a deep rabbit hole.

would really appreciate a gentle nudge in the right direction, if anyone is willing to help. :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beam me up, please.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Beam me down ... as in, Jim Beam please. Not off this ship.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
stmv

Post by stmv »

After a lot of staring at it, I finally got this one, very tricky, nice to see my name on the board.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I am with solution.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm in need of a gentle push off the boat if anyone's feeling harmony with the universe.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Glad to get through this one. Still on the WSJ boat, but haven't looked at since Friday. Will start over a few hours before tonight's deadline.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Off the boat, thanks Cindy!

at # 135 on the list, it's a very different week than week 2 was ...
Joe

Post by Joe »

I don't have anything yet. But haven't given it much time so far. With so many comments saying they're glad they finished it so they could get back to the WSJ, I'm encouraged. I got that one without too much difficulty.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.