#633 - "Harmonize"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Same strategies as a lot of previous posters, including seeing "banjo" in "San Jose" right away. A nudge that I was in the right direction here, and I quickly found "flute" in "deflate", "organ" in "ivorian". A little after that, found "cello" in "callout". The substituted letters to get the instruments were "b", "u", "g", and "l", therefore I needed an "e" to get "bugle". So, seeing that the answer was a five-letter instrument, and these were all five-letter instruments, I tore the grid apart. The closest I could get was "didge" out of "didja". That's short for digeridoo. Never looked for, or saw any of the four-letter instruments. Glad to get a smiley on this one.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

So, what was the "L" instrument after all? I found BUGE and figured that was good enough for BUGLE, but couldn't find a 5th 5-letter candidate. There is "ru(b)YREd" for "LYRE" and "distri(b)UTE" for "LUTE" but that seems rather...inelegant? What am I missing?

EDIT: Was just tipped off on the presence of crossings in the puzzle. Had *no* idea about the presence of ObOE, TuBA, GONg, or BeLL. Just solved by looking for the 4 letter substrings of 5 letter instruments, and using the substituted letters. Wow. Hoping for a better click on Friday.
Last edited by tonyrobots on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I just realized that July is a 5 Friday month. If this is week 3, what will week 5 bring?
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

OGuyDave wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:45 pm Same strategies as a lot of previous posters, including seeing "banjo" in "San Jose" right away. A nudge that I was in the right direction here, and I quickly found "flute" in "deflate", "organ" in "ivorian". A little after that, found "cello" in "callout". The substituted letters to get the instruments were "b", "u", "g", and "l", therefore I needed an "e" to get "bugle". So, seeing that the answer was a five-letter instrument, and these were all five-letter instruments, I tore the grid apart. The closest I could get was "didge" out of "didja". That's short for digeridoo. Never looked for, or saw any of the four-letter instruments. Glad to get a smiley on this one.
DOH! The Cello was the 'e', not the 'l'. My mind works (when, on rare occasion, it does work) in mysterious ways.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm I just realized that July is a 5 Friday month. If this is week 3, what will week 5 bring?
Matt said this week was more like a week 4 so next week will be a week 3. Then a "regular" week 5.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My first impulse was to take the title more literally. I saw the tone cluster D Eb E (aka D EFLAT E) and thought that it (and others I had not yet found) would be harmonized into triads like C E G. Bad idea. Or rather, good idea, just not Matt's idea.

I got on the right path almost by accident when I noticed that SAN JOSE could become BON JOVI. That led me to BANJO, and the rest fell into place.
Jay
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I had seen BANJO early on and thought, "hm, that's interesting", but took far too long to circle back to that.

But D1 (oldest daughter) is a professional flutist, so once I started on changing letters, I was able to figure it out.

Bothered me that it wasn't "in order" as he often (not always, but often) does. Once I had BU, I knew what it had to be. But finding that last E ... that was tricksy. Very tricksy.

Nasty hobbitses, trying to tricks me.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I thought the letters were in a "clockwise" order - forming a (rather warped) coil of a bugle?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.