#630 - "A Number of Creatures"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On the board. Nice one Matt.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm I think I have it. Lots of red herrings in this one.
Come to think of it, that’s a creature I’ve never actually seen, either.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OMG! Someone just pulled back the curtain - What a stroke of genius Matt (and also anyone who solved it). I am indeed shocked and amazed that anybody can even come up with these ideas, but to then put them into a workable crossword grid. I just know Matt laughs like "MWAH HA HA", he is the all powerful MENTO!

I would have worked on this for the rest of my days and perhaps, just perhaps, would have seen what the solvers saw after I exhausted everything else. Still even that is a long-shot. However, this is just one more thing I will remember to try.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Beam me up! I fat fingered my submission with a partially typed answer and had to email Matt. Hope it won't take too long to see if I made it on the board!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Right there with you spotter, having no more time to devote to this, but in all honesty I might well be added to the several wrong answers this week.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

I have two answers I’m mulling. Each works (to me) in a different way depending on how I interpret the mechanism. Guh. Someone call it in the air for me...
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Tails
Davesteve

Post by Davesteve »

Yeesh, been staring at this one for 6 hours and nothing. Just can’t see the mechanism here.
Brutus!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Pretty sure I finally got it after a third (or fourth or maybe seventh) look! If so, I agree that it's amazingly sneaky but not as complicated as one might expect from a week 4. (Of course, all of the complexity in my own head more than made up for that!)

Edit: Beam me up! I wasn't expecting an update at almost 1:00 AM EDT but here we are. I saw several familiar names in the same transport group :-)
Last edited by Laura M on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have an answer that I'm reluctant to submit. Matt himself allowed that last week's vitamin meta was a "clunker," so I expected that this week's would be elegant. But the answer I have so far seems to have a bit of clunk as well.

I also had assumed that Matt and the WSJ crew composed puzzles weeks ahead of the publicaiotn date. But with the delay in this one, I feel like a middle school kid finding out the teacher too can be late with his homework and has to ask for an extension.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

Beam me up.

I was beginning to think this would be the meta answer I'd never see. I saw all sorts of creatures as I tried to make this way more complicated than it turned out to be. I'm also missing that final definitive "click" a few other posters referred to, but got my name onto leaderboard without it.

Another remarkable puzzle! Matt said this week’s delay was due to a problem he discovered last-minute with the puzzle he planned to release. I would love to hear the details about that and hope he can share it at some point.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I had thought there might be some secondary confirmation -- in the title or somewhere in the grid -- but finding none, I still went with my first hunch. I wasn't wild about it, but apparently it was correct.
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Very nice meta! It kept me smiling for an hour.

I had the same apprehension as many, initially, which allowed me to accept the answer, but a key clue/answer confirmed it in my mind. Feel free to PM, if you've solved, or wait for noon, Wednesday.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

My first week 4! I thought this was especially hard - odd how I sailed through the vitamins last week no prob and stared at this one for days until it finally hit me.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Nice to get a week 4 for a change. But was it a real week 4? I don’t care, I’m counting it as a win.
Jack Sullivan
Schep

Post by Schep »

Would greatly appreciate any 11th hour nudge on this one. I think I’m going through a meta crisis, I’ve been struggling to pick up on some of these mechanisms lately. Must be losing it! TIA!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On the board. This was... really quick? For some reason it came to me right away this week. I'll take it.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I'd appreciate a nudge for this one. Not having much in the way of luck getting anywhere.
chnest

Post by chnest »

In the same boat. Spinning wheels trying to get to the right number of creatures :)
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Well, I can see all the creatures in the puzzle, but I'm drawing a blank on the one I've never seem .