#630 - "A Number of Creatures"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#630 - "A Number of Creatures"

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to the meta is a creature you've never seen.

The deadline will be extended until noon Wednesday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

A sober Joe Ross
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Grid is done but I sure can't find all the 75A!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Woohoo! On the board at #6, and before noon. Thatโ€™s a first.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Dammit, submitted right after an update. I'm only 80% on my answer... we'll have to see.

Update: on the board! #18, pretty good for me on a Week 4.
Last edited by damefox on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Yeah! My second straight top ten finish, and in week 3 and 4 at that. Softens the blow of being 125th in this week's WSJ. No. No, it doesn't.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I think I have it. I have submitted. Got itโ€”doesnโ€™t exactly seem like a week four.
LesY

Post by LesY »

[deleted post]
Last edited by LesY on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I can't even get a toehold on the grid. Yay week 1 next week!
Meg

Post by Meg »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:05 pm I think I have it. I have submitted. Got itโ€”doesnโ€™t exactly seem like a week four.
Iโ€™m pretty sure I have it. The reason it doesnโ€™t seem like a week 4 to you is because you are getting really good at metas! The whole difficulty rating is very tenuous, imo. Which tunnel will I trip and fall into this week?? Most of the time it just feels like dumb luck.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Grid straightforward. Meta not seeing it. Am confused by wording of 75A and wondering if 7D and 69A are meant as warnings or โ€œwords meant to deceiveโ€.

Lots of time until Tuesday.

Stay well all
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Meg wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm
oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:05 pm I think I have it. I have submitted. Got itโ€”doesnโ€™t exactly seem like a week four.
Iโ€™m pretty sure I have it. The reason it doesnโ€™t seem like a week 4 to you is because you are getting really good at metas! The whole difficulty rating is very tenuous, imo. Which tunnel will I trip and fall into this week?? Most of the time it just feels like dumb luck.
You are very kind to say that but I still have a long way to go to catch up with expert solvers like you. What progress I have made I owe in large part to the advice that you have so generously provided.
Meg

Post by Meg »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:15 pm
Meg wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm
You are very kind to say that but I still have a long way to go to catch up with expert solvers like you. What progress I have made I owe in large part to the advice that you have so generously provided.
You out-humbled me. Perhaps we can both just say that we have some skill in this area.๐Ÿ™‚
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:37 pm Yeah! My second straight top ten finish, and in week 3 and 4 at that. Softens the blow of being 125th in this week's WSJ. No. No, it doesn't.
Hi Al, Iโ€™m wondering how to find out what number you are in the WSJ results. Iโ€™ve never seen a leaderboard. I always email my answer and it just goes into the void. Thank you!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm
Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:37 pm Yeah! My second straight top ten finish, and in week 3 and 4 at that. Softens the blow of being 125th in this week's WSJ. No. No, it doesn't.
Hi Al, Iโ€™m wondering how to find out what number you are in the WSJ results. Iโ€™ve never seen a leaderboard. I always email my answer and it just goes into the void. Thank you!
I just went to our illustrious Cruise Director's Saturday status post and counted down... and down... and down... until I saw my name/nom. So yeah, thanks for the reminder: Although I was 125th in the list of correct *Muggle* solvers, I was probably well into four digits in the list of all WSJ solvers.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Ugh. Right now seems like too many possibilities. I'm overwhelmed. Taking a break.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Streroto wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:32 pm Grid straightforward. Meta not seeing it. Am confused by wording of 75A and wondering if 7D and 69A are meant as warnings or โ€œwords meant to deceiveโ€.

Stay well all
69A?
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

OK, I'm going to attempt a meta within the meta. This is for people who have correctly solved the puzzle. Everyone else should ignore. This is NOT A HINT; it won't help you -- and if you're already struggling, it could worsen your plight. Actually, I'm betting that most people who HAVE solved are also likely to be mystified by what I'm getting at here. So if you don't quickly come to an answer to my question, I recommend that you simply erase this post from your mind. It relates to a personal interest that possibly a few here share, but not likely many. Here goes ...

There's a reason that Matt's delay of this puzzle to today is particularly fitting. If you can think of the reason why, please feel free to PM me with your answer. Thanks to all for indulging me this!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Chris-I messaged you. If it is what I am thinking of, I heard it this morning. I wonder if it was a coincidence.
KayW

Post by KayW »

tonyrobots wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:11 pm
Streroto wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:32 pm Grid straightforward. Meta not seeing it. Am confused by wording of 75A and wondering if 7D and 69A are meant as warnings or โ€œwords meant to deceiveโ€.

Stay well all
69A?
An entry you've never seen. ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.