#629 - "Good for You"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

#84 on the list, not bad.

not squishy, just not fully ... you know.

not a week 3 IMHO
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up.
Now what I am I going to do.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

you're going to do what you need to do in the kitchen.

I'll have some.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Ok, after dinner and a shower I felt refreshed enough to take a look at the meta, and I'm on the board. Huh.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Busy with work today so I haven't taken a fair shot at this one yet, but it's definitely not an instant solve for me! Hopefully I can work it out tomorrow. At any rate, I was disappointed that the health benefits of 60A weren't listed :-)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I was sure I had something, but I just can't get it to resolve into a coherent answer. This seems to have been happening to me a lot lately, sigh.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Laura M wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:47 pm I was sure I had something, but I just can't get it to resolve into a coherent answer. This seems to have been happening to me a lot lately, sigh.
I think we're in the same place. Time to start over!
Heidi
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Taking the evening off and starting fresh this AM ended up working out for me. On the board!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This started so well...I immediately had several good ideas on how to approach it, and each had some merit and some initial success, but two or three steps in and they peter out. I'm trying to be more sleuth-like, following the lead of so many of the clever solvers who see that clues and derive from them LOTS more direction that I ever do. Seems when I get past BIG DEALs I have to fold. Not stopping looking, but maybe I have to resolve and reassess.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm. Just submitted, and just missed a leaderboard update, so it will probably be a while till I know if I’m right. Reasonably confident, but not 100%. Lots of guessing and backsolving to deal with some ambiguity. Don’t love this one, unless of course there’s something I totally missed.
Domini

Post by Domini »

I’m new to meta puzzles and MGWCC, so hiiiii!

That week 5 a few weeks ago stopped the small streak I had going, and this morning I was sure this puzzle would break my streak again. I had tried a million things and saw nowhere else to go. But after putting it down for a while, wouldn’t ya know, I got it almost immediately! It ended up being the FIRST thing I had tried.... Just did it wrong—ugh! I’m learning to trust my gut.

I’ve enjoyed lurking these past few months. This seems like a great community.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Domini wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:27 pm I’m new to meta puzzles and MGWCC, so hiiiii!

That week 5 a few weeks ago stopped the small streak I had going, and this morning I was sure this puzzle would break my streak again. I had tried a million things and saw nowhere else to go. But after putting it down for a while, wouldn’t ya know, I got it almost immediately! It ended up being the FIRST thing I had tried.... Just did it wrong—ugh! I’m learning to trust my gut.

I’ve enjoyed lurking these past few months. This seems like a great community.
Welcome, welcome! And congratulations on the MGWCC. Week 4 next week. We ARE a great community!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:50 pm Hmm. Just submitted, and just missed a leaderboard update, so it will probably be a while till I know if I’m right. Reasonably confident, but not 100%. Lots of guessing and backsolving to deal with some ambiguity. Don’t love this one, unless of course there’s something I totally missed.
Squishy.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Anita

Post by Anita »

I tried something and am now staring at a mishmosh. Perhaps there's another step.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Anita wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 pm I tried something and am now staring at a mishmosh. Perhaps there's another step.
I have the same mishmosh! Probably. Does it look like you hit your head on the keyboard in frustration? :-)
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Feel like I'm close but it's just not materializing. Can't find a consistent application of my idea. I suspect others who haven't solved are having a similar journey.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Going crazy with this thing. Last week, I submitted a post saying that metas aren't trivia contests, they're word puzzles. I'm trying to follow my own advice, but am stuck with the feeling that I need a degree in nutritional science to solve this thing. Do I? I'll welcome an answer or super gentle nudge via DM if you're so inclined. Thanks!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Laura M wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Anita wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 pm I tried something and am now staring at a mishmosh. Perhaps there's another step.
I have the same mishmosh! Probably. Does it look like you hit your head on the keyboard in frustration? :-)
Sounds like my approach. I think I need to walk away and do something constructive.