#629 - "Good for You"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I'm having no luck. Too many words, too many moving parts, and a title that seems to have only a single, unhelpful entendre.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:10 pm I'm having no luck. Too many words, too many moving parts, and a title that seems to have only a single, unhelpful entendre.
Sooo...many...words...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

PM if you would like a nudge
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Schep

Post by Schep »

Too many healthy foods in this grid. Not my area of expertise 😂
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on the leaderboard, so I'm pleased, as this was my first time formally trying to do one of these. I agree that this was "squishy", and indeed it took me a while to converge to the correct solution.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Totally whiffed on this one. Submitted with only 80% confidence. I should know better than that, but I was tired of looking at it!
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

3 PMs sent.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it, after a gentle nudge. Agree this one is a little "squishy." Not my favorite.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, my boat finally touched shore but only with the help of a much more experienced captain who guided me off the rocks. My heading was true but my navigating was sloppy and just as I was getting ready to drop anchor and wait for a high tide (and another week) to get my vessel back to port I finally really looked at the comments he had made on my chart. So thank you matey and as the say on talk like a pirate day ARRR! Hopefully next week my postings will not be so full of ship references- but it will be a week four so I doubt it. Besides I am constantly told I am full of ship anyway.... :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Would love a nudge on this one. I have some suspects but it’s not fully “clicking.”
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Add me to the “nudge, please” list, please. Have a few leads but they come up short.

Edit: got it, thanks to a bit of help. Onward!
Last edited by tonyrobots on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

various nudges thrown about.

enjoy your kitchen activity, I require samples.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I was one of the nudge recipients and the "squishiness" of this one caused me to just stop trying and take the L on this one. My initial idea was correct and after a strong push to continue in that direction I still can't get there. I'm looking forward to the report today to see if I'm justified in my feelings of resentment towards this one.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Gave up and guessed the answer...correctly
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

joequavis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:42 am Gave up and guessed the answer...correctly
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Alright, somebody tell me what this was. Joon didn’t solve it.
spotter

Post by spotter »

From Matt Gaffney in the comments:

Thanks, Joon — 304 correct answers this week. It was vitamins, the answer being BAKED A CAKE.

I was not sure whether to go forward with this idea; I liked the idea of extracting a letter from the nutritional content of foods, but was concerned about just what happened to you happening to everyone, since there are lots of vitamins in almost every food and it was tough to find unambiguous ones.

Eventually I talked myself into it being OK, since there are only six letters to choose from (A, B, C, D, E, and K) and you know it’s 10 letters and probably food-related so I figured solvers could piece it together easily enough once they got the idea. But reading your experience makes me think, hmm, maybe shouldn’t have let this one see the light of day.

I was heartened by the 97% success rate of entries up until Hail Mary time (around 10 AM today) but that can just be ascribed to selection bias.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have zero regrets for not getting this one. On to week four!
Heidi
damefox

Post by damefox »

I share exactly the sentiments of the frustrated user on Crossword Fiend who pointed out that actually the *entire* crossword was unrelated to the meta answer (you don't even need the foods - just look up which vitamin is associated with each of the parentheticals). That is, in my book, not a meta crossword. Plus the fact that there are multiple vitamins associated with each food makes this one, as has been said before, "squishy." Not one of Matt's best. On to week 4.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

damefox wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:37 pm I share exactly the sentiments of the frustrated user on Crossword Fiend who pointed out that actually the *entire* crossword was unrelated to the meta answer (you don't even need the foods - just look up which vitamin is associated with each of the parentheticals). That is, in my book, not a meta crossword. Plus the fact that there are multiple vitamins associated with each food makes this one, as has been said before, "squishy." Not one of Matt's best. On to week 4.
+1, except "On to week 1." as I have never gotten a 4, (or a 3, for that matter.)