#626 - "Three-Quarter Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Meg wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 pm Done. Rookie mistake. But OK in the end.
I have a black lab too!
Heidi
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

I needed a bit of help -- but not too much. A couple of solvers were nice enough to steer me out of a couple of rabbit holes, where I might have continued digging until Tuesday. They gave me an inkling of where I might more productively focus. From there I thought long and hard, then an idea suddenly hit me, and the solution rolled from there.

Liked it! Though I can see a reason why some solvers might rank this a notch or two below Matt's best.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Now that the WSJ contest is over it's time to sit down and figure this one. This is the first week 5 since we've been solving. Onto something but not much
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, week 5 appears to be living up to its reputation. I got NOTHING! I cannot make any association between the Title and anything else. I may end up with this one as a "learning experience"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:01 pm Wow, week 5 appears to be living up to its reputation. I got NOTHING! I cannot make any association between the Title and anything else. I may end up with this one as a "learning experience"
Same situation for me too!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

After almost four years of doing these, I've lately been running about 50-50 with week 5s. So far, this one is looking like the end of my streak. Oh, well, that's what week 5s are for - to keep streaks from getting too long :) Or maybe post-enlightenment will work its magic.
camandsampowercouple

I dreamt about this puzzle last night but it didn't lead anywhere. I've got some homework to do and then I'm back to obsessing tonight
wjchatto

Post by wjchatto »

They should have named this puzzle "The Enigma."
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:11 pm After almost four years of doing these, I've lately been running about 50-50 with week 5s. So far, this one is looking like the end of my streak. Oh, well, that's what week 5s are for - to keep streaks from getting too long :) Or maybe post-enlightenment will work its magic.
Starting to feel the same way, Barbara. Even after a couple of nudges, I'm coming up empty. Looks like 17 is as high as the streak will go.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm taking a loss on this one, too. I got nothing and I won't have time to stare at it in the morning. Taking a loss on PGW too. Does MMMM come out tomorrow? I kinda hope not...I think my brain needs a rest.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I haven't had much time to spend on this one, so Tuesday am will be my last shot. Nothing coming to me at all this week. I'll see what tomorrow brings.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I just got a series of nudges that had to rise to the level of a slap in the face before I got it. I've submitted a couple of times before as a group solve, where I got a little nudge, but at least did some solving. But this was such a Never-Gonna-Happen that I'm just going to take the loss. My first miss of 2020, between MGWCC and WSJ.
burak

Post by burak »

Last week's MGWCC I had a strong hunch that the black keys of a piano were involved, but just couldn't figure out how. This week's WSJCC, the title very much told me what to do and after a few rabbit holes, I finally figured it out.

This one I have no effing idea ahah. One of the easiest Ls I've ever taken in my life.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Giving up on the streak. Really hoping this is a KAS 5 and not a KAS 4. Ugh.
camandsampowercouple

I can't believe it's this time of the week again. These puzzles always take over my ability to focus on anything else, especially when it's crunch time.
camandsampowercouple

I went through every clue and wrote down the answer and said them out loud. I noticed a few things I hadn't noticed before. Maybe some of note, but it's hard to tell with this one. Anyone able to give me a nudge?
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I hadn’t been able to find any path into this, not even a dead end. Woke in the middle of the night and finally saw a strategy that made sense and fit with the title. Went back to sleep. Got up this morning, and remembered the idea. Looked at the grid. Dead end. So I’m back where I started.
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Read three posts in WSJCC SOUND OFF that will add two tools to my solving kit. They also seem to give me some traction, here, at last, but I can't follow through to the end.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 am Read three posts in WSJCC SOUND OFF that will add two tools to my solving kit. They also seem to give me some traction, here, at last, but I can't follow through to the end.
There's 350 of them. Can you say which three? Or is that a public nudge?
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thurman8er wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:46 am Giving up on the streak. Really hoping this is a KAS 5 and not a KAS 4. Ugh.
My sentiments EXACTLY. Lookout Bear was kind enough to nudge me out of a dead end rut I was digging to China. But I see nothing else to take its place...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.