#624 - "Now You Sea It, Now You Don't"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm Now I sea it. Beam me up!
I couldn't have said it better. So I won't. Nice one, Matt!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beaming up!

I'm not always crazy about oversized grids. But I enjoyed this one and the week 1. Some combination of nice smooth fill so they didn't feel tedious and plenty of time these days so I don't mind spending a bit more on one puzzle.

I'm curious why Matt included the "(count carefully!) in the instructions. Was there something specific he was expecting people to miss.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I'll just say this is a ridiculously impressive construction.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Still not seaing it. Though I have one (somewhat tenuous) lead that matches the “13” clue. Will continue to stare at it blankly until something hits me upside the head.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

It took me a while to get the right strategy even after I knew the key. It may have hit Hector over the head, but my skull remained unstruck. I had to go to my strategy of looking for signs of forced entries before I saw what the hint meant.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Woke up this afternoon and solved this one w/ our coffee. Solved it way faster than usual. We're getting the hang of these things.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm Woke up this afternoon and solved this one w/ our coffee. Solved it way faster than usual. We're getting the hang of these things.
Oooh, be careful saying things like that! The meta gods might hear, and they have a knack for stomping out hubris 🙂
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Good one, but I made it a lot harder than it should have been.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 pm
I'm curious why Matt included the "(count carefully!) in the instructions. Was there something specific he was expecting people to miss.
I think he’s being “punny!”
damefox

Post by damefox »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:08 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 pm
I think he’s being “punny!”
Or perhaps referring to the prompt for the SELF-QUARANTINE meta from a few weeks ago?
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

Went down one (very interesting) rabbit hole, then discovered the correct path. This was a fun one!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Hector wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:48 pm Interesting. Plays like a week 2 as is, but I'm curious how hard it would be without the hit-you-over-the head aspect.
I must have a very hard head then...lol.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up! I’m with BarbaraK wondering about the caution however it’s been thrown to the winds!

Stay well, all
Schep

Post by Schep »

Hi all! Newbie here. I’ve gone deep down so many rabbit holes I’m having trouble getting back to the surface to start fresh. If anyone has a super gentle nudge to share I’d appreciate some assistance! I’m totally prepared to have a “duh” moment once I figure it out 😂 TIA! Have a great weekend y’all.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK and steroto I think I can ‘splain the warning post-deadline. My first answer was not the correct length and Matt’s warning kept me from submitting 🙂
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Phew, got it, after spending quite a bit of time lost at sea. And I came *very* close to submitting a non-13 letter answer, so I'm grateful for that warning!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

grid complete.

still ASEA on this one for a while, looking for waterlines.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:30 pm grid complete.

still ASEA on this one for a while, looking for waterlines.
Now you're crossing the beams!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I have gone back and forth on this one and am still very much at sea. I feel like there's something I'm missing but I just can't get my life preserver over it. Can I get a nudge before I drown, please?
burak

Post by burak »

I truly admired this one. Not anything fancy at all, but truly, truly admirable in how it all comes together.