#622 - "Wave Hello!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Easy-peasy. Maybe so easy as to be a pageant?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TMart wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 pm I got it, but I don’t get it. I forced myself to finish some of the grid before sending it in, so maybe I missed the joke.
See the last across entry.
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

hcbirker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:32 pm
TMart wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 pm I got it, but I don’t get it. I forced myself to finish some of the grid before sending it in, so maybe I missed the joke.
See the last across entry.
Ah! Should have finished the grid. :oops:
Thanks!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got it! I was pretty confident early on but I also have the rule about finishing the grid too - but I'm glad I did, it was nice and smooth.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved. Ticked at myself for filling in entire, huge grid before attempting to solve!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

I'm happy for a week-one easy one today. Solved it before finishing the grid.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I had a lot of fun w/ the grid but the meta was disappointingly easy
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm Solved. Ticked at myself for filling in entire, huge grid before attempting to solve!
I was pretty sure what it might be from the very beginning, but filling the grid is half the fun, no?
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Beam me up. Didn't finish the grid, but sounds like I should?
KayW

Post by KayW »

Beam me up! In a way I'm glad this one was so easy - there are FIVE Fridays in this month. Maybe this means I'll still have a shot at solving the fifth one.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Thurman8er wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:46 pm Beam me up. Didn't finish the grid, but sounds like I should?
See my comment above. I always finish the grid before submitting. The constructor put a lot of work into it, and you might miss something.
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

I usually make sure to finish the entire grid before I submit, and I’ve been burned before by not doing that. It’s week one, a huge grid, and I was pressed for time and wanted to make sure to get it in before the weekend. But Heidi’s right - Matt did put a lot of work into this, and even though the meta answer was relatively simple, the overall puzzle is pretty elegant in the way it all ties together in the end, from title to themers to hints etc. so I’m glad I went back and finished it all. Sometimes the easy ones are prettier than the hard ones.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Solved.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The grid took way longer than the META for once. Tough grid and I still have a hole left, I have to look something up because the crossing word is, in my opinion, used incorrectly. But hey, I don't do this for a living so it may just be that I am completely unfamiliar with it in this context. Someone mentioned that they do not get the joke but if they think about it for just a minute I am sure they will. Still to say anymore would be a spoiler for this rather easy, and entirely welcome, Week 1.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The solve was easy and fits, but the usual elegance of how the title fits the puzzle evades me? Perhaps someone who sees it can PM me or at least explain on Tuesday after the contest closes?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I thought the title 'wave hello' was like the joke where someone is drowning and the person on the boat thinks they're just waving (rather than flailing) and waves back.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Or waving for help from a desert island
KayW

Post by KayW »

I have an amusing/embarrassing SOS related story that happened to me the night before this puzzle dropped...

I live in downtown Chicago, near a large medical complex. Every evening from 8:00 to 8:05 (shift change), the residents flash lights and/or cheer as a show of appreciation to health care workers. I've been joining in, using a strobe function on my iphone. On Thursday night as I waved my phone, I thought to myself: "That's odd, the flashing seems to be alternating between fast and slow. I wonder why?"

Well, you guessed it - I had the strobe set to SOS mode (dot-dot-dot, dash-dash-dash, dot-dot-dot).

The good news/bad news is that no one came breaking down my door to rescue me. I'm guessing these days not too many people know Morse code.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm I have an amusing/embarrassing SOS related story that happened to me the night before this puzzle dropped...

I live in downtown Chicago, near a large medical complex. Every evening from 8:00 to 8:05 (shift change), the residents flash lights and/or cheer as a show of appreciation to health care workers. I've been joining in, using a strobe function on my iphone. On Thursday night as I waved my phone, I thought to myself: "That's odd, the flashing seems to be alternating between fast and slow. I wonder why?"

Well, you guessed it - I had the strobe set to SOS mode (dot-dot-dot, dash-dash-dash, dot-dot-dot).

The good news/bad news is that no one came breaking down my door to rescue me. I'm guessing these days not too many people know Morse code.
I do know Morse; I have a FCC amateur license verified at 20 words per minute. But we've been playing this party game called Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, which is a fun party game where someone has a screen with a bomb on it, and other players who can't see the screen try to read from a manual to tell the bomb defuser what to do (think those cheesy movie sequences... CUT THE RED WIRE!)

One of the parts of the bomb sometimes contains a flashing light that spells a certain word in Morse that the defuser has to read back over the phone, and I thought I'd be a lock at it. But, for me, it's absolutely impossible to visually read Morse as opposed to hearing the beeps. I have yet to actually successfully defuse that one. Still a fun game with the right people!