#622 - "Wave Hello!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

... I still have my Novice license (they don't grant those anymore) ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm surprised I still remember as much as I do from my Boy Scout days. I can still decode any Morse Code message that someone sends me, as long as it consists of only A, D, E, H, I, N, O, S and T. Here's a little trivia on Samuel F. B. Morse: He was an incredibly talented painter and he married his second wife in my hometown, Crossword-friendly Utica.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I can spell my name

Dash
Dash Dash Dash
Dash Dash

That's "TOM".

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:44 pm I'm surprised I still remember as much as I do from my Boy Scout days. I can still decode any Morse Code message that someone sends me, as long as it consists of only A, D, E, H, I, N, O, S and T. Here's a little trivia on Samuel F. B. Morse: He was an incredibly talented painter and he married his second wife in my hometown, Crossword-friendly Utica.
Well then: •••• ••/ - •• • / •••• --- / ••• •• ••• - ••

Utica - all I can remember about Utica is that they had a beer - Utica Club (which I may or may not have imbibed while not yet 21) and that it had the distinction of being the first beer brewed after prohibition ended, or so the story went.

Utica the high road and I'll takea the low road and I'll get to Schenectady before ya...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:43 am
Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:44 pm I'm surprised I still remember as much as I do from my Boy Scout days. I can still decode any Morse Code message that someone sends me, as long as it consists of only A, D, E, H, I, N, O, S and T. Here's a little trivia on Samuel F. B. Morse: He was an incredibly talented painter and he married his second wife in my hometown, Crossword-friendly Utica.

Utica - all I can remember about Utica is that they had a beer - Utica Club (which I may or may not have imbibed while not yet 21) and that it had the distinction of being the first beer brewed after prohibition ended, or so the story went.

Utica the high road and I'll takea the low road and I'll get to Schenectady before ya...
Yeah, I got that! And yes, that's true about Utica Club. Amazing, though, isn't it? The day prohibition ended, they happened to have beer ready to go? Hmmm...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:53 am
DrTom wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:43 am

Yeah, I got that! And yes, that's true about Utica Club. Amazing, though, isn't it? The day prohibition ended, they happened to have beer ready to go? Hmmm...
Wow, talk about dumb luck or serendipity!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I think it's interesting that there are 900+ subscribers and "only" 682 solved this one. Maybe a lot of people just don't care about being on the leaderboard so they got it but didn't bother to submit? Or do people subscribe just for the grids and don't even bother with the metas?