#620 - "Two for Two"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

If anyone still needs a nudge, PM me... I'm happy to help, but just don't want to butt in if you're already all set.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Same offer here - send a PM if you'd like. I've helped a couple folks and am sure the community is helping the others.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Never in a million years...I would never have gotten this without the nudge. Just small enough that I could feel fairly proud of myself. Beam me the heck out of here!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'll take a nudge, I've already submitted a wrong answer, so anything before tomorrow's deadline so I can feel I've accomplished ... something?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

The difficult thing about this one was the sheer number of plausible red herrings and rabbit holes. I almost had the right mechanism yesterday but was pursuing too many things. A very kind small nudge from a muggle sent me back to the right path and I found the answer quickly. Impressive meta--I don't know how some of you solved it so quickly!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Leslie wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm The difficult thing about this one was the sheer number of plausible red herrings and rabbit holes. I almost had the right mechanism yesterday but was pursuing too many things. A very kind small nudge from a muggle sent me back to the right path and I found the answer quickly. Impressive meta--I don't know how some of you solved it so quickly!
Yes! One rabbit hole in particular felt intentional.
Last edited by Thurman8er on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Thurman8er wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm
Leslie wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm The difficult thing about this one was the sheer number of plausible red herrings and rabbit holes. I almost had the right mechanism yesterday but was pursuing too many things. A very kind small nudge from a muggle sent me back to the right path and I found the answer quickly. Impressive meta--I don't know how some of you solved it so quickly!
Yes! On rabbit hole in particular felt intentional.
+1 to both of these posts. I vote for at least 2 intentional rabbit holes (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:07 pm I'll take a nudge, I've already submitted a wrong answer, so anything before tomorrow's deadline so I can feel I've accomplished ... something?
Ditto on a nudge ... I've been working on this on and off for hours this weekend and am getting nowhere. :(
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I've gotten the basic mechanism, but the pieces are not falling into place, perhaps because there's a different sort of piece missing.

Update 5 minutes later. I copied the completed grid into Paint, colored in the revlevant entries, and there it was.
Full discolosure: I did get a bit of help. Someone who had solved it confirmed that the possibilities I had first considereded but thought were dead ends were in fact dead ends.
Jay
burak

Post by burak »

Well, I have a strong suspicion about how the meta mechanism vaguely works, and I have spotted two entries that lead me to three different answers. 33.3% isn't that bad, I'll take my chances tomorrow.

Edit: Yeah, I either have a solution or will get the "Reddest Herring of the Year" award. I'd be happy with both :)
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I never would have seen this without 2 nudges from LesY. Thanks Les!!

Still took a long time to get the right idea.

Kudos to those that got it alone.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WOW, my brain hurts - luckily it is small enough that the pain is not unbearable. I think I have the answer, at least I submitted one. I'd love to say that I got there completely on my own but I had a nudge, actually two nudgers, that gave me the same advice and I was finally wise enough to listen. Even once you see it there is considerable angst as to whether you really have it (referencing burak's "Reddest Herring..." award) but I can defend my answer based on the puzzle so I'm going to throw some acetaminophen at my aching frontal lobe (can't resist the old pun -"rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy", though they have both been known to destroy reason, judgement and impulse control) and then settle back and do something that won't make me feel quite so incompetent, like clean the carpets like my wife wants me to! This stay at home stuff is TIRING!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Submitted and on the board with a nudge. Even after figuring out the path it was difficult. It was fun but I'm glad it's over quite frankly!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I have to say first that. like others have noted, amazing job those who got there without assistance. Secondly, I am delighted to see so many people who usually solve these on their own needed nudges, prods, pushes, slaps, etc. I now do not feel quite as bad. I bounced all around because of some really smelly herring, after the contest closes I'll share some of my sillier ones.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

LesY wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm
Thurman8er wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm
Yes! On rabbit hole in particular felt intentional.
+1 to both of these posts. I vote for at least 2 intentional rabbit holes (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
I completely agree. The nudge I got confirmed that I was chasing dead ends that I believe were diabolically intentional (insert wicked laugh here). What a clever meta, with so many overlays. Even with the nudge I still cannot get all the way to the solution. I am soooo impressed with the people who found this easy, even with a nudge! Something for me to aspire to with more practice.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Wow. All these comments are making this meta seem downright scary! Best for me to pass.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Ugh! I was almost there but ran out of time. Oh well, new streak starts Friday, I guess. (If I'm lucky!)
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

I just got totally lucky on this one.. as I was solving, I just mis-read the Godfather clue, and was filling "TRILOGY" until it didn't fit, then later realized I had mis-read it, but noticed that it still made a valid clue and thought "huh that would be an interesting meta mechanism some day". Then over the course of solving I started seeing others that were similar and it all fell together quickly. 100% dumb luck / not reading very carefully :)

I'm curious what other rabbit holes were out there though, since I was so happy to have solved quickly I just tore up the puzzle and threw it away in celebration - I never got a chance to really look at the gird with my meta-eyes
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

hopelessly being towed further out to sea by the rabbit(?) on the end of my harpoon, land is a distant memory
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Third Eye.jpg

My parents had this record (78 rpm) when I was a child, though I don’t recall ever hearing it. But whenever I hear the phrase that is the solution to this puzzle, that's what I think of. I hope Shiva will forgive me.

(Abe Burrows was best known as a script doctor or play doctor, not a songwriter. He wrote much of the book for Guy and Dolls. His son James worked in TV and has directed episodes of just about any sitcom that comes to mind).
Jay