#618 - "Get the Idea Across"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

Post by Hector »

I knew he had it in him: Jangler is on the board.
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

I got this one, I have no clue on WSJ this week though!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Banged this one out at lunch... still sitting on WSJ (it's been a crazy work week)... hoping it'll keep me busy for the weekend...
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I really liked this one. Beam me up!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up (pending verification. but I'm pretty sure)! My working-from-home schedule has become wonky enough that I didn't get to this one until late tonight.

Edit: On the board!
Last edited by Laura M on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. So wanted it to be a different answer.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

After my week 4 whiff I was happy to have an easy return to week 1. Beam me up.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

YEA! Finally solved one all on my own. Yes I know it is a gimme but it has been a BAD couple of weeks for me and METAs so I am happy to have at least one I'm pretty confident of. Its WSJCC that has me crazy now.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, finally saw my name in the "solved" portion - snuck in at #450 but I'll TAKE it! :D :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Didn't vet my answer and submitted in haste. LEARNING LESSON #642!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Finally made it to shore (and the boards) after floundering way longer than I ought to have. Gory details post-deadline.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

solved. now back to the 11th hour for the WSJ meta.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm Finally made it to shore (and the boards) after floundering way longer than I ought to have. Gory details post-deadline.
Oh, I do so love a good gory detail....just ate some herring so I am waiting with baited breath!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:11 am
KayW wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm Finally made it to shore (and the boards) after floundering way longer than I ought to have. Gory details post-deadline.
Oh, I do so love a good gory detail....just ate some herring so I am waiting with baited breath!
(Groan)
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

stay tuna'd and don't be crabby
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Submitted the same answer two weeks in a row. What are the odds??? At least this one was correct :)

Stay well all
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Yoo hoo, Kay. Was there a good story you were going to share with us?
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 pm
Yoo hoo, Kay. Was there a good story you were going to share with us?
Barbara - thank you for asking/reminding! I was going to say - I am new to MGWCC and thought the deadline was on Tuesday. And then realized that today is Wednesday :lol: The days of the week are blurring during my enforced staycation.

I picked up the idea of finding answers to the across questions in the grid pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the answers I found were STOP(54D)/OWLS/SPOON/ELLEN. Rather than trying to find an alternate answer for any of the questions, I stubbornly persisted in trying to find an additional step. 1-across 1-2-3/A-B-C seemed to indicate some sort of numeric approach. I spent two days trying to find some way to translate my answers to numbers to other letters - using grid entry numbers, ordinal position of the answer letters in the alphabet, you name it. Finally an off-hand comment from a friend, plus the fact that ROSE might be an acceptable answer, sent me scurrying back to find a different WAZE ROUTE PART. Doh!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.