#617 - "Game Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm He's still my Willie Mays, Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky.
I like to think of myself as the Marvelous Marv Throneberry of puzzling.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I got it, but I still feel like I’m missing something, maybe that nice bow that metas often come tied up in. Had the right general idea on Friday but had to come back to it a couple of times before I applied it correctly.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Thanks to a little help from Laura (thank you!!) you can beam me up. Now I understand prior comments!!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Been staring at this since Friday and haven't gotten anywhere. Anyone care to offer a hint?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

damefox wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 pm Been staring at this since Friday and haven't gotten anywhere. Anyone care to offer a hint?
I’m in the same boat. Will relook in the morning.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:04 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm He's still my Willie Mays, Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky.
Trivia Question-Why was Marv Throneberry the perfect Met (something other than his ineptitude)?
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Leslie wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:38 pm I got it, but I still feel like I’m missing something, maybe that nice bow that metas often come tied up in. Had the right general idea on Friday but had to come back to it a couple of times before I applied it correctly.
After finally getting the meta I called my son, who had gotten it Friday afternoon. (I just introduced him to MGWCC a few months ago but he’s a pro at puzzles generally.) He pointed out the step I had completely missed and should have seen (totally in my wheelhouse). I wonder how many other people have solved this after completely missing the first step.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

[/quote]

Trivia Question-Why was Marv Throneberry the perfect Met (something other than his ineptitude)?
[/quote]

Know not. But I want to. Please tell!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 am
I have a guess... shall I PM it so as not to ruin it here (read: make a fool of myself here)?
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I think I'm at the point where I would take a gentle nudge. Thank you, and happy Monday (if you're still keeping track.)
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it (after several hints - thank you all!). Not my kind of puzzle. This was also made considerably more difficult than it needed to be by the fact that I am completely without printer access right now.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well after thinking I had it, I was actually wrong. I wonder if I made the same mistake as Jangler
Will be very interested to see discussion tomorrow afternoon
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am
oldjudge wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 am

I have a guess... shall I PM it so as not to ruin it here (read: make a fool of myself here)?
Al’s guess was correct, but since he did not post his answer others are welcome to take a shot—just message me. I will post the answer this evening.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I think I've found a vital first step here. Now I need to figure out what to do with it... There may be hope for me still!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Got it, thanks to a kind & gentle nudge from damefox. Insidious stuff.
spotter

Post by spotter »

OK I'm almost positive I have it right! Wow that took me a long time to see! Submitting now
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I just got around to looking at this now -- I'm not sure I'm gonna get this one before the deadline! There's goes my 100% solve rate.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Streroto wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 pm Well after thinking I had it, I was actually wrong. I wonder if I made the same mistake as Jangler
Me too. And I apologize again that my hint didn't work out, although I still think that you should get credit since you definitely found the right method (with only the lightest of nudges). I'm now wondering if there's some extra confirming step that I didn't notice, and I just got it right by chance.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Laura M wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:53 pm
Streroto wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 pm Well after thinking I had it, I was actually wrong. I wonder if I made the same mistake as Jangler
Me too. And I apologize again that my hint didn't work out, although I still think that you should get credit since you definitely found the right method (with only the lightest of nudges). I'm now wondering if there's some extra confirming step that I didn't notice, and I just got it right by chance.
I'm really curious how one could get the wrong answer on this one using the correct method...
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Complete newcomer here, but I would definitely take a nudge here. I am pretty sure I have the first step, but I'm not seeing what to do next. It would help just to know I haven't gone down a rabbit hole!

EDITED: Thanks for the confirmation that I was on the right track and just misinterpreting one small piece. I feel silly and relieved all at once, since this is my first Week 4.