#617 - "Game Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. I fell asleep last night with the puzzle in my hand, then woke up with an idea of how to solve it. A couple of twists and turns later, the answer popped out. This was a great one.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got this one, I had an early instinct that I'm glad I threw away, still happy to have submitted a Week 4 relatively early on a Friday evening though!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I got nothing on this one. Hoping my subconscious picks up on something.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Gee, I see a couple of possible avenues but each one I have tried yielded nothing I can use. I actually have an idea of the name and I'll bet it is keeping me from seeing the real answer because I am trying to force something. If nothing else comes my way I'll Hail Mary, but I'd rather be sure. This is my 1st week 4 (I started with 614) so I'd be delighted to get it but I really do not see that happening.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dogged Puzzler

Post by Dogged Puzzler »

This was a fun one. Clever puzzle. Time for my nap.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Frustrating week for me so far meta-wise! With all of MGWCC, WSJ, and Fireball I have what seem like solid starts but no answers.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

What's going on in this world? First a pandemic virus, now Jangler missed an MGWCC? This is some serious disturbance in the force. I'm afraid to see what's next.

I've got an answer to this puzzle. It's quite clear that what I've found is intentional, and it leads to an athlete famous enough that, even sports-ignorant as I am, I've heard of. In any normal time, I'd submit it without another thought.

But, but, but... Jangler missed it! What if I've found what he had and there's another step?

Since we've got til Tuesday morning, I'm going to hold off beaming up for now and take another look later to see if I can see something else - either another step that I've missed or even just a bow to tie it up.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Well, it was a titanic struggle ... but, in a stay-at-home order here in Michigan, I certainly had the time ... and it took three nudges (one more like a push; this was definitely NOT a solo solve) ... but I finally got to an answer I believe is correct. Beam me up! (For now!)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hector wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm Frustrating week for me so far meta-wise! With all of MGWCC, WSJ, and Fireball I have what seem like solid starts but no answers.
We've all had weeks like that... and finally (he said with a "friendly competitive tone") so do you! I still have faith that you'll get them all though...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm What's going on in this world? First a pandemic virus, now Jangler missed an MGWCC? This is some serious disturbance in the force. I'm afraid to see what's next.

I've got an answer to this puzzle. It's quite clear that what I've found is intentional, and it leads to an athlete famous enough that, even sports-ignorant as I am, I've heard of. In any normal time, I'd submit it without another thought.

But, but, but... Jangler missed it! What if I've found what he had and there's another step?

Since we've got til Tuesday morning, I'm going to hold off beaming up for now and take another look later to see if I can see something else - either another step that I've missed or even just a bow to tie it up.
I wonder if Jangler saw what I jumped to immediately and almost sent in... I was telling my girlfriend last night -- Lord knows she's heard me lauding Jangler for years now -- that I wonder if he's more relieved than upset now that it's over. It had to have been a lot of (self-imposed) pressure; never missing one. Matt even has an anecdote about an MGWCC April Fools meta he posted as a goof -- it didn't have an answer; he was just going to give everyone a solve -- except that Jangler actually submitted an answer that Matt had to accept! He's still my Willie Mays, Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm He's still my Willie Mays, Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky.
So I reckon the answer is none of those....Perhaps I'll get there by process of elimination? :P
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I've been staring at this thing since noon yesterday. Got one piece last night, and the rest (I think) slowly, piece by piece, over the course of today. I think I have it, and am just waiting for the board to update.

Edit: Made it! Phew!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

tonyrobots wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm He's still my Willie Mays, Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky.
So I reckon the answer is none of those....Perhaps I'll get there by process of elimination? :P
Yipes... I hadn't even thought about that!!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Al-How did you know that Jangler missed? Is there a place where incorrect answers show up?
Hector

Post by Hector »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:51 pm Al-How did you know that Jangler missed? Is there a place where incorrect answers show up?
No, but every submitter shows up under the "Overall" tab at https://xwordcontest.com/

so you can infer. Actually I'm impressed at how quickly folks did infer!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thanks Hector! I’m still relatively new to this so hopefully my learning curve will be steep.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Trying to look at this with fresh eyes this morning but all my ideas seem to be hitting dead ends. I'd appreciate a nudge.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I too would like a nudge if anyone is offering
Joe

Post by Joe »

I went from "No way in hell am I getting this" to "There it is! Nailed it!" in like five seconds. Awaiting confirmation, but can't imagine I'm wrong.

Update: I was not wrong.
Last edited by Joe on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm What's going on in this world? First a pandemic virus, now Jangler missed an MGWCC? This is some serious disturbance in the force. I'm afraid to see what's next.

If it helps, it sounds like your process was identical to mine, except that I didn't check this forum or the board before submitting (I try not to) so I didn't second-guess myself (much)... I am curious about Jangler's (and Al's) first instincts though!