#617 - "Game Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BTW, my first thought was that the three pointers referred to field goals. At that point I constructed a goal post upward from the “P” in pointers, using 5D and 8D as the uprights. When you do this the letters left on the crossbar, above which a kick yields three points, are an anagram for ELI. ELI is also in Selectric and KeepStill. Also, Eli’s number (10) is the start of 41D. This had me believing for a long time that Eli Manning was the answer.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

OK, I wasn't going to admit this. But what the heck, probably everyone could use a laugh these days.

A couple weeks ago, Matt changed the format of the puzzles so the by line was part of the title, and I never noticed it.

So last week, I assumed there must be some major week 4 significance to having the title be "Game Time by Matt Gaffney", not just "Game Time". Matt's puzzle comes out at noon, 12, Fridays, that must some how be part of it. When I found the letters (without ever picking up the Scrabble connection) and saw that they were BC and PM, I was even more sure. It wasn't til I read the write-up on Fiend and the comments there and here and saw no one else mentioning that odd title that I went back and looked at the previous puzzle and saw that that one had "by Matt Gaffney" as part of the title too.