#616 - "A Quiet Place"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

I was despairing of finding the solution, and finally asked another solver for a nudge, but then the aha came in a flash, pretty much independent of the nudge, so I don’t feel too guilty about submitting for the streak. This time, anyway.

Hope I got it right. About 90% sure. I can see how solvers are seeing some squishiness here.
burak

Post by burak »

Streroto wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:17 pm I’m seeing what I’m supposed to see, but have no idea what to do with it!!
I feel like there are tens, if not hundreds out there thinking the same.

*checks the leaderboard*

Yep, hundreds seems about right.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Matt G. accepted my answer. Yay! But I've heard that two other similar answers, probably better than mine, were also OKed. So if you're feeling unsure about exactitude, you may be OK. To those truly at sea, this may not be a helpful post. But I think you'll know when you're close to solving.
Meg

Post by Meg »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am Matt G. accepted my answer. Yay! But I've heard that two other similar answers, probably better than mine, were also OKed. So if you're feeling unsure about exactitude, you may be OK. To those truly at sea, this may not be a helpful post. But I think you'll know when you're close to solving.
I suspected as much!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Chris and others - TYVM! - have inspired me to submit, since I had three similar answers. Awaiting an update with bated breath.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up! It all came together for me just as I awoke this morning. I had the right idea all along, just hadn’t found the right solution.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm
Streroto wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:17 pm I’m seeing what I’m supposed to see, but have no idea what to do with it!!
I'm with you in the same place!
Me three.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am Matt G. accepted my answer. Yay! But I've heard that two other similar answers, probably better than mine, were also OKed. So if you're feeling unsure about exactitude, you may be OK. To those truly at sea, this may not be a helpful post. But I think you'll know when you're close to solving.
I suspected as much!
Yeah, I actually put in the comment block "...or any of many theme-oriented answers"
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I posted one answer, which Matt accepted. (Thank you, Matt!) Then I realized that I could & should have posted the other, which ties in better. Both have their advantages, but - post-submission - I see where the latter was intended.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Geoduck wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:26 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm
I'm with you in the same place!
Me three.
Hang in there folks it will come to you!!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I agree the one I submitted didn’t seem like a lock. But how many are there that are 14 letters long?
LesY

Post by LesY »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm Beam me up!

I was despairing of finding the solution, and finally asked another solver for a nudge, but then the aha came in a flash, pretty much independent of the nudge, so I don’t feel too guilty about submitting for the streak. This time, anyway.

Hope I got it right. About 90% sure. I can see how solvers are seeing some squishiness here.
I just had a similar experience. Had noticed something early on, but hadn’t realized the full importance. Now I completely get it.

The nudge I got from another solver was much appreciated - and general enough (as in nothing I wasn’t already telling myself) that I also feel ok submitting.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Was about to post that I'd be taking the DNF this time, only to remember that I have another day's "spare" time to waste on this. As it stands I have nothing even moderately promising besides parts 1 to 3 of the quiet place.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

I'm striking out here too.... just posting and praying I see something more than a bunch of oddities in the grid I can't yet make sense of....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Woke up at 3:00 am with the solution. Beam me up!
Heidi
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Leslie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm
I agree the one I submitted didn’t seem like a lock. But how many are there that are 14 letters long?
It did. Two possible answers did. I submitted what I think was the one Matt intended.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Geoduck wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am
It did. Two possible answers did. I submitted what I think was the one Matt intended.
I have no idea why my response got attached to this posting! I will have to be more careful in the future.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Geoduck wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 am
Geoduck wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am
I have no idea why my response got attached to this posting! I will have to be more careful in the future.
Same thing happened to me yesterday.
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

If anyone wants to nudge me along in the right direction, please do so. I think that I see what everyone else sees, but not quite sure how to decipher it.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:27 pm If anyone wants to nudge me along in the right direction, please do so. I think that I see what everyone else sees, but not quite sure how to decipher it.
I would take a gentle nudge as well, please!