#616 - "A Quiet Place"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well heck, as long as the nudge line is shorter than the hand sanitizer and TP line - I'll take one if offered! There is a HUGE "I see that" but I don't know if what I see is what I (can) get?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Please put me next in line for a nudge too, if offered. Thank you!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Pretty sure I'm seeing what everybody else is seeing. I'll probably spend a lot of today staring at it off and on, but not there yet.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Think I'm ready to call it, and would love a nudge... staring at this grid so much is making my backlog of other puzzles grow way too long this weekend....
spotter

Post by spotter »

I think I'm on shore. Submitted an answer and periodically checking to see if I'm correct! My first official week on the MGWCC. Would be nice to start off with a success!

Edit: Confirmed on shore!
Last edited by spotter on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

spotter wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm I think I'm on shore. Submitted an answer and periodically checking to see if I'm correct! My first official week on the MGWCC. Would be nice to start off with a success!
They usually have more of a "click" than this one did.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm beaming up too. Submitted just after the noon update but wasn't sure enough to declare it til I saw the leaderboard. This felt less like an "aha, there it is" and more like an "oh, ok, I guess that's it".
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Nudge, nudge here please? I see something, I've been studying it.But not sure yet what to do with it.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Oh heck—don’t want to go 0 for 2 this weekend, so any nudge would be appreciated.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Took a shot. Not a complete Hail Mary, but please don't activate the transporter until I'm more sure of the coordinates.
Polar Star

Post by Polar Star »

I think I got it. Who wants to send me a little nudge?

Edit: My guess was wrong. :(
Last edited by Polar Star on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Whew, finally figured it out with some confirmation on one of my paths leading to glory, what a relief! Thanks for help everybody!
TMart

Post by TMart »

A Haiku (sort of):

A nook into
Which you and your gang can go?
Self-quarantine!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I really like the concept and the super cool execution of the key SE corner, but . . . First, the title doesn't work: quarantines, in the valid sense of places used to quarantine people, aren't necessarily quiet, just apart. Plus the expression "self-quarantine" is not commonly used to characterize a place: "that house is a self-quarantine"? Also, the themers seem very unfortunate to me. A quarantine is a "nook" you can go into with your people? I guess some are, but so are lots of things, and "going into" quarantine, which is a thing and probably what "go into" is referencing, isn't just going into a place that's a quarantine. (Also, other grid oddnesses, like the two DOs in the SW, GOT and GOTTA, and, HOWDNO?? . . .)

Of course the meta imposes constraints, but they don't seem all THAT severe.

Title: "Avoidance Maneuver"
Themers: YOUDONTMIX INACOMMUNITYBUT INAGOODWAY

Happy to take the DNF, and yes I'm aware that this is DNF grumbling! :-)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I marvel at the quick construction
Of a META giving current instruction
It was cruel and quite mean
To highlight quarantine
But distracted midst all this destruction
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Going through the grid the first time, and thinking about quiet places and nooks, I was sure that MBOY and BWAY were going to be the key, using the missing letters. Was quite surprised when they didn't spell anything and I had to take another look at that odd lower right corner.

People were talking recently about solving old puzzles, from the web or published in books. I think this one will prove quite a challenge, or maybe frustration, in two or three years.
LesY

Post by LesY »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:33 pm Going through the grid the first time, and thinking about quiet places and nooks, I was sure that MBOY and BWAY were going to be the key, using the missing letters. Was quite surprised when they didn't spell anything and I had to take another look at that odd lower right corner.

People were talking recently about solving old puzzles, from the web or published in books. I think this one will prove quite a challenge, or maybe frustration, in two or three years.
Barbara, I was in the same boat you were. Tried to find a route through MBOY and BWAY multiple times!