#615 - "Transcendental Meditation"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Guest constructors provide a nice change of pace.

I made an error on one letter in the grid, which led to some confusion.
Jack Sullivan
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Got it.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Done. Misunderstood the question at first but once I got it, I got it.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Finally getting to this. Happy for an easy one, but could have used a longer distraction from all the anxiety-filled world news.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up! Thanks very much to Peter for the great guest puzzle, and for the merciful cluing of the Downs.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up. It was staring me in the face yesterday but took until this am to see it. Another DOH! Moment.
9D made me chuckle having just posted that earlier for WSJCC.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I dunno, I may be wasting my money on these. I am consistently getting the WSJCC but MGWCC, not so much. Last week I was close, this week I am almost SURE I know the answer from things that point to what I believe to be true, but easy, nope! As for the "transformation" in the hint, I see what billkatz means but I sure am neither familiar with it nor know what to do with it. GRRR
You might be trying to over complicate this one. It really is just what it asks for.

It is conceivable that someone’s never heard of the answer in which case a little googling would be required.
Thanks BarbaraK, but anything I get from *** spoiler removed *** would probably have to be something I look up in a Slavic or Lithuanian (I mean that is the origin of my name but gee...) Google because there are WAY too many consonants for the number of vowels. I am obviously overthinking it, but I am obviously also not seeing the AHA. The clue that so many say is unnecessary is throwing me for a loop simply because what is so elementary to the rest of the group obviously escapes me. Ah well, I'll keep my streak alive, looks like it will be 0 for 2. Do negative streaks count for something???
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I dunno, I may be wasting my money on these. I am consistently getting the WSJCC but MGWCC, not so much. Last week I was close, this week I am almost SURE I know the answer from things that point to what I believe to be true, but easy, nope! As for the "transformation" in the hint, I see what billkatz means but I sure am neither familiar with it nor know what to do with it. GRRR
You might be trying to over complicate this one. It really is just what it asks for.

It is conceivable that someone’s never heard of the answer in which case a little googling would be required.
Thanks BarbaraK, but anything I get from *** spoiler removed *** would probably have to be something I look up in a Slavic or Lithuanian (I mean that is the origin of my name but gee...) Google because there are WAY too many consonants for the number of vowels. I am obviously overthinking it, but I am obviously also not seeing the AHA. The clue that so many say is unnecessary is throwing me for a loop simply because what is so elementary to the rest of the group obviously escapes me. Ah well, I'll keep my streak alive, looks like it will be 0 for 2. Do negative streaks count for something???
You're definitely over complicating it. I tried to do that too, and it started off so promising but then fell apart.

Imagine that you've never done a meta before in your life. So you don't even know any fancy tricks and all you have to work with is that hint.
burak

Post by burak »

Here's my general advice:

Solve the puzzle early, at least don't start on a Sunday. If you can't tackle it after 30-45 minutes, set it aside and don't look at it for hours -I actually prefer sleeping on it and looking at it first thing in the morning the next day.

I used to obsess over a meta and keep circling and drawing and taking notes for hours. Nope. All you need to do -if you feel like you're stuck- is to refresh your brain tabs.

Oh, and often times talking to someone about it -or writing on a forum :)- helps unlock something that you haven't seen before.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OMG, someone gave me a kick in the pants and now I see it and the beauty of it. I am not claiming success because the success was not mine and without the "nudge" I would probably still be lost trying to circle, calculate, back fill, etc.

As a positive, and like someone else mentioned, I did learn a new term - and one that will haunt me forever as I reflect on just how dense I was. The other positive is all of the wonderful folks on these forums, that alone is worth the price of subscription. That people who know each other only via a "blog" are willing to take the time to send help to someone else just because they are kindred spirits - well I once again believe there is hope for the world.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SOOOO sorry all, my ignorance of what the heck to do apparently made me inadvertently post a spoiler. I truly do not even remember what it was but I ask your forgiveness and indulgence for this neophyte MGWCC joiner. :oops:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:43 pm
SOOOO sorry all, my ignorance of what the heck to do apparently made me inadvertently post a spoiler. I truly do not even remember what it was but I ask your forgiveness and indulgence for this neophyte MGWCC joiner. :oops:
I didn’t see what you originally posted and assumed that the spoiler removed bit was your own comment.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Sorry, that was my doing. I didn't want to take down the whole post. The removed bit was most of the "question in the puzzle." This puzzle is kind of unique in that the clue to the meta is itself an entry in the puzzle.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Got it. Beam me up! (Seriously, has anyone been watching "Picard"? It's the best thing on TV right now.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thurman8er wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:13 pm Got it. Beam me up! (Seriously, has anyone been watching "Picard"? It's the best thing on TV right now.)
Watched the first one and assumed that since I had Amazon Prime I could watch the rest. Apparently you need a subscription to CBS Streaming or something and I have reached a "naw that's enough nickel and diming for now" attitude. I'd like to watch it because I loved StarTrek from the beginning and enjoyed the "teaser", but it's like the current hand sanitizer thing, yes I'd buy some but not if you are going to stick a gun to my head to get it, heck I'll just make my own. I have isopropyl alcohol, I have aloe, I have some aromatic oils, I have glycerin, and I have the know how. If only I could produce episodes of Star Trek: Picard I'd be completely self sufficient!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Pretty sure I have it. Will double check in the morning (have been traveling and dodging the virus for the past week and just got home from a 12 hour drive) and submit my response to confirm.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Slipped in a solve last-minute. Glanced at the clock at 10:35 & remembered I hadn't started.

Confirmed as correct, despite having a letter untranscended. Looking forward to the explanation.

Celebrating with Canada Dry BOLD Ginger Ale, due to the hour. Tasty!

Hope all muggles & yours are well!

EDIT: Mistake on my part. All letters accounted.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Just signed up for MGWCC. My craving for Meta's is growing. Solved this one pretty easily, even though I'm fairly certain the deadline has passed. And since I haven't seen any other posters say it yet, I'm going with the all too easy statement that I am 9-down!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Jacksull wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 pm Guest constructors provide a nice change of pace.

I made an error on one letter in the grid, which led to some confusion.
I entered AITA instead of AIWA for the headphones, so the theme entry read "...THAT MARCH..." not "...WHAT MARCH...". I couldn't find the question.

There is a company called AITA which makes headphones.
Jack Sullivan