#615 - "Transcendental Meditation"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#615 - "Transcendental Meditation"

Post by Hector »

Instructions: What is the answer to the question in this puzzle? (Hint: Z = 26)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Might have been better to omit the hint; week 1-ish as it is.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Fun one from Peter Gordon! A little easy but it evens out the week 1 that was more like a week 2.

Back to WSJCC which, on the other hand, I still haven't gotten...
TMart

Post by TMart »

Easier than a week 2, but I learned a new term, so there's that.

Also, I love that Peter Gordon is #1 on the leaderboard this week!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

9-D
Fun one. Without the hint would have made this quite a bit more challenging, but probably still get-able?
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it. The hint was probably not necessary; I'm not even sure it would've been much more challenging without it. Maybe would've been a week 1.5 instead of a week 1. But an enjoyable puzzle in any case!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

This was a fun one. Being very familiar with the transformation in the hint, I didn't really need it.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved. I was wondering how Peter Gordon solved it so quickly till I saw Matt’s second email.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

On da board!
Dogged Puzzler

Post by Dogged Puzzler »

Om. . . Thanks for the fun puzzle.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Fun one!
Heidi
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Got it!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I dunno, I may be wasting my money on these. I am consistently getting the WSJCC but MGWCC, not so much. Last week I was close, this week I am almost SURE I know the answer from things that point to what I believe to be true, but easy, nope! As for the "transformation" in the hint, I see what billkatz means but I sure am neither familiar with it nor know what to do with it. GRRR
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

DrTom-I’m sure you will get this one. Think positive.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I dunno, I may be wasting my money on these. I am consistently getting the WSJCC but MGWCC, not so much. Last week I was close, this week I am almost SURE I know the answer from things that point to what I believe to be true, but easy, nope! As for the "transformation" in the hint, I see what billkatz means but I sure am neither familiar with it nor know what to do with it. GRRR
You might be trying to over complicate this one. It really is just what it asks for.

It is conceivable that someone’s never heard of the answer in which case a little googling would be required.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I dunno, I may be wasting my money on these. I am consistently getting the WSJCC but MGWCC, not so much. Last week I was close, this week I am almost SURE I know the answer from things that point to what I believe to be true, but easy, nope! As for the "transformation" in the hint, I see what billkatz means but I sure am neither familiar with it nor know what to do with it. GRRR
I know I’m more “on the wavelength” with some constructors rather than others. Usually I’m better at the MGWCC than WSJ, and more often than not when I get the WSJ it’s a Gaffney puzzle. On the other hand, I love PGW’s fill and clues but almost never crack his metas.

This week definitely has a different feel since it’s a Peter Gordon puzzle. I love Fireball, so not complaining, but this puzzle isn’t super-representative of most MG metas IMO.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It’s always lovely when I don’t have to obsess all weekend. I agree the hint was a bit unnecessary.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Along with the WSJ, another easy one! Definitely agree the hint was unnecessary. Cute though, I enjoyed it. Always fun to get a different constructor in there, much as I love Matt's work. Guess it's time to go back to reality... or perhaps I should do the PGW first?

Stay safe and well, everyone!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it! Boy, did I overthink it, though.