#614 - "Add to the Mix"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Nice one. Agree that it was more of a week 2.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved after a nudge. Submitted with the nudge qualification.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It will be interesting to read joon's writeup at crossword fiend and see if he managed to solve this one without the prompt (as he likes to do with week 1s). I'll be surprised, and impressed, if so.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I finally subscribed. I didn't think to look here for a discussion.

I thought it was pretty easy but, being my first puzzle at MGWCC, I have no basis for ranking it relative to the weeks.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Geoduck wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:37 pm I finally subscribed. I didn't think to look here for a discussion.

I thought it was pretty easy but, being my first puzzle at MGWCC, I have no basis for ranking it relative to the weeks.
This one took a little more effort than a typical week one. But Matt often mixes them up based on difficulty. I can imagine how hard it would be to do that! Everyone is different.
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:42 pm Solved after a nudge. Submitted with the nudge qualification.
Well I'm flailing; terrible way to start the MGWCC I'd suppose. At his point I'd take a nudge, a pinch or even a glimmer of light on the other side of this forest through which I cannot see because of the trees (and perhaps even the fours!). :? :(
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 am At his point I'd take a nudge, a pinch or even a glimmer of light on the other side of this forest through which I cannot see because of the trees (and perhaps even the fours!). :? :(
Check your PM inbox.

CLICK TO RECIVE NOTIFICATIONS OF PRIVATE MESSAGES
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
aallen116

Post by aallen116 »

How do I get a nudge? I think I'm close but there seems to be a step I'm missing...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well with the pleaded for nudge I THINK I have it solved. Everything works but the answer is less than satisfying. Thanks for the appropriately directed kick in the pants, you made me look at what I had looked at forever and should have seen. Like a ground hog day of a usual Lowe's experience; I had the tool somewhere but it was not exactly the right tool so I had to go get a new one that was the right size. If experience is a predictor. I should return the new tool but I won't, it will just sit in the garage for eternity.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Its too late to submit but I am so close to solving - can anyone PM me a nudge? Many thanks!

EDIT: thank you all for the helpful nudges! sometimes i make the process harder than it needs to be. sigh....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well turns out that my helpful nudge got me to ALMOST solve the puzzle. I got to ARPEGGIO and stopped. Yes, I know, it has nothing to do with being OVERSTATED or added to, when all the others did, and GEORGIA was right there! Dang I feel so stupid. I thought about hanging myself, but unfortunately i had a broken chord. :)