#613 - "Decision Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Busy day yesterday, so I just got the grid finished and took a quick look. Saw something, but ran out of time to pursue it. Took a fresh look this morning and the meta fell into place. Nice construction by Matt as always.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Saw something right away, but it took me quite a while to sort out what to do with it.
burak

Post by burak »

I have gone through more than a few steps and got a solid answer, but I don't see how that's a "frequently faced decision". I understand that the prompt has to be vague sometimes, but this is too vague for me.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Having run into a couple dead ends, if anyone could give me a nudge it would be much appreciated!
Abide

Post by Abide »

:) Decision made and submitted!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I have decided I need a nudge if anyone is offering
damefox

Post by damefox »

I also would love a nudge if anyone is willing. I got step 1 immediately, but I've been stuck since Friday.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Sent you both a nudge.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Step one seems relatively obvious, but I’ve been stuck since then.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Step one seems relatively obvious, but I’ve been stuck since then.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Waiting for update but I’m pretty sure I’m beaming up. I saw the first step pretty quickly on Friday but then got nowhere while away for the weekend. Came home today, decided to take one more look, sat down with a cup of tea, and the rabbit jumped right out at me!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Thanks to a gracious nudge from BrianMac I am ready to beam up (with assistance)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Throwing in the towel on this one. I do feel I’m darn close though, so I’d appreciate a nudge if someone would like to send one. I’m not going to submit an answer either way. :)
David R

Post by David R »

I'm becoming a firm believer in solving these on Monday night, desperation makes my brain work better.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm still on the away-mission. Did the grid Friday and saw a first step. Picked it up again last night and found a second step. Woke up this morning with brilliant idea how to get an answer out of that, but then when I looked at the puzzle, I realized the puzzle in my imagination was totally unrelated to the real one.

Four more hours.

I couldn't resist the challenge of trying to do all these solo when Matt added that feature. A year later, I have mixed feelings about it. Yes, very rewarding to find an answer without any help. But I did that Chris King meta as a team solve last month and remembered how much fun it is with the back-and-forth of ideas, and I've kind of missed that.

My goal for MGWCC was at least 48 out of 52, and I didn't make it. But I did get close enough that I feel like I could, so now I still can't resist trying it again this year. So I'm not looking for a hint, just hoping for post-enlightenment.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I think I'm with sharkicicle on this one. I have a great idea that I just can't let go of, but it's getting me nowhere. Towel thrown.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Whew! Beamed up at the very last minute. Had the second words last night, but amorpm looked like nonsense, as did mormap, etc.
Dogged Puzzler

Post by Dogged Puzzler »

Grrrr!
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:47 pm I have gone through more than a few steps and got a solid answer, but I don't see how that's a "frequently faced decision". I understand that the prompt has to be vague sometimes, but this is too vague for me.
I was lucky in that I got the answer AM OR PM in less than an hour, but then had to deliberate on it for two days before I finally submitted that answer last night. I really don't see how this is a decision. I almost submitted "Day or Night" or "Morning or Night" but thankfully those weren't decisions either.

Great meta puzzle otherwise. Title was clever too -and it actually was the little extra click that made me comfortable before submitting an answer-.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Dogged Puzzler wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:36 pmGrrrr!
Cute doggo!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin