#613 - "Decision Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#613 - "Decision Time"

Post by Hector »

This week’s contest answer is a frequently faced decision.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Woo-hoo! #5 in a week 4!
docison

Post by docison »

#10! Only 5 behind Al! Such a nervewracking feeling to submit just after an update... Have to keep refreshing in hopes of seeing your name appear.

Definitely liked this one.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

#9 (probably by seconds as the time stamp is the same)...we seem to be filling in the top of the leaderboard this week.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I am comically bad at making decisions, so I will likely be on the bottom of the leaderboard this week, if I make it at all. On the plus side, I'll have a puzzle for the weekend.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'll take that #20 with pride and the acknowledgement that I almost never get a Week 4!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Ahhh, wish I would have printed and solved this as soon as it dropped, I was so on the right wavelength this week!
LesY

Post by LesY »

This one went quickly - agree re: same wavelength.

As always the numbers will bear out whether it's a true week 4.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Pretty sure I got it, but waiting on board confirmation. I thought it was a really neat puzzle—great construction. Confirmed.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm Well I am comically bad at making decisions, so I will likely be on the bottom of the leaderboard this week, if I make it at all. On the plus side, I'll have a puzzle for the weekend.
I predict you will have this one solved before the day is over. It’s not that hard—you can do it.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Just submitted. Feel confident I got each step and came up with a highly plausible answer, but didn't totally click like I would like. We'll see in a bit, I suppose!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm Well I am comically bad at making decisions, so I will likely be on the bottom of the leaderboard this week, if I make it at all. On the plus side, I'll have a puzzle for the weekend.
I predict you will have this one solved before the day is over. It’s not that hard—you can do it.
Yep, I submitted. I hit a few little bumps along the way, but it was a great puzzle.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Yup, #37 here! I've got a bit of a quibble with the set up, but will leave it at that for now. Fun and satisfying puzzle nonetheless!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:59 pm
oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm
Yep, I submitted. I hit a few little bumps along the way, but it was a great puzzle.
👍. You're too good to miss this one.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Submitted an answer, time will tell.
I agree with tonyrobots...but that quibble may go away if I stare at it a bit more.

Edit: leaderboard updated, indeed got the correct answer. Week 3?
Last edited by joequavis on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up (hopefully)! Enjoyable, and I never felt completely hopeless for toooo long, as usually happens on a week 4. (For this reason I'd guess that this was easier than the usual week 4...) I think I have the same quibble that tonyrobots mentioned, but overall it was a fun and clever puzzle.

Edit: #44! I really have a talent for submitting just after an update...
Hector

Post by Hector »

Enjoyed that there is more work to do after the first step.
Meg

Post by Meg »

What a relief! Matt's rabbit was findable. Maybe I can figure out the PGWCC now.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

For me, this was the right level of hard. Maybe a 3.5? Or a 3.25?

I saw something quickly, but then it took me more time than it should have to figure out what to do with it. I could have been, I don't know, fixing something, or writing an awful novel, in that time.

Still, a satisfying solve!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Went down the wrong rabbit hole for a bit, but woke up this morning and corrected my direction. Good one Matt!
Heidi