#612 - "They're Falling For You"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

Post by Hector »

Never heard of 'em... Add this to the stack of "it was the first thing I tried, but obviously not competently."
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it. Way overthought it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally figured it out. Never heard of them.
Heidi
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it last night. Also never heard of the answer. My boyfriend had to convince me they were a real thing.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. A little different. I liked it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So I started with the right idea, but when CMOOBS and MCOBOS did't make any sense, I wandered off on tangents like starting counting with the clue letter or counting sideways instead of down. It wasn't til I printed out the puzzle and highlighted the letters that I saw I needed to read them left to right.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:16 pm So I started with the right idea, but when CMOOBS and MCOBOS did't make any sense, I wandered off on tangents like starting counting with the clue letter or counting sideways instead of down. It wasn't til I printed out the puzzle and highlighted the letters that I saw I needed to read them left to right.
I did the same thing. I always seem to have problems with these type of "indexed" answers -I never know where to start counting from, and whether the answer will be in grid order, clue order, or whether to include black squares. i always print and highlight, but with so many options of where to start, the printed grid always ends up a mess as I circle letters from every option. I finally wrote each option out, and noticed that one of them anagramed to COMBOS.

#metaproblems :roll: